A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Asus P5E-VM DO Motherboard - Issue setting up RAID array

Asus P5E-VM DO Motherboard - Issue setting up RAID array

Postby jrcserver1 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:59 pm

I'm reinstalling my Windows XP, and went through the process of deleting my RAID and reconfiguring it. I was just restarting the computer to boot to the Windows XP setup disc. Now, it won't go beyond the initial Asus screen (the first thing you seen when you turn on my computer). I've tried to remove the Windows XP disc.... it doesn't do anything at all. I can't press Delete to get into the BIOS...nothing happens. Thoughts?
PRO Level 7

Re: Asus P5E-VM DO Motherboard Issue

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:17 pm

It sounds like it could be that your RAID array is not configured as it should be and that could be causing the system to continuously hunt for the HDD. Try reconfiguring the RAID array by pressing whatever key you need to, to enter the RAID setup.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby jrcserver1 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:43 am

That's what I thought, but even if I try to enter the BIOS, it just says Entering Setup but doesn't do anything. It doesn't get past the POST screen.
PRO Level 7

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:15 am

jrcserver1 wrote:That's what I thought, but even if I try to enter the BIOS, it just says Entering Setup but doesn't do anything. It doesn't get past the POST screen.

Have you tried getting into RAID setup again?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby jrcserver1 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:24 am

Alright.. after playing around a bit with it, here's what's happening.

It doesn't get beyond the POST screen if all three hard drives are plugged in. In the BIOS, there's a setting for the hard drives (whether RAID is enabled or not). If I enable RAID with all 3 drives connected, it won't post. If I disconnect any one of the drives, it will post and I can get to the RAID setup. If I go into the BIOS and disable RAID, all is well, but then I don't get the RAID setup screen.....
PRO Level 7

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:32 am

Are you pressing the Ctrl+I key combination to get into RAID setup if it's an Intel chipset?. It's been a while since I've have RAID setup problems but it is important to break the array and reboot before setting up a new array. I think disconnect the new drive, boot into RAID setup, break the RAID array...undo it following the instructions given in setup. You will lose all you data so be aware of that.

PROfessional Member

Postby jrcserver1 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:37 am

I'm not actually installing a new drive.. just installing XP/reformatting. I deleted the original RAID because I thought I had to -- perhaps I didn't! At this point, If I connect all 3 drives, it won't POST and I can't get into the RAID setup. If I connect two drives, it will POST but I can't setup the RAID because all the drives aren't connected. I did delete the original RAID already... Its an Intel chipset.
PRO Level 7

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:41 am

See if you can find some info here Intel - Troubleshooting Serial ATA / RAID issues that relates to your problem.

PROfessional Member

Postby jrcserver1 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:59 am

No luck by looking there.

Basically, if I set the BIOS to non-RAID, I won't get the RAID config screen. If I enable RAID, the computer won't POST with all three drives connected.
PRO Level 7

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:05 am

Try disconnecting the drive that's causing the problem, boot to RAID setup (Ctrl+I) and break the array. Reboot, then boot to BIOS, undo the BIOS raid configuration then switch off the system after exiting the BIOS. Connect the third drive, restart, boot to BIOS see if all drives are recognized. If so, then reboot and go to RAID setup and create your new RAID array.

PROfessional Member

Next

Return to Hardware and Customizing