A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

ASUS Motherboard Fan

ASUS Motherboard Fan

Postby Pcmiztress » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:22 pm

Hello,

I have an ASUS A8N- SLI dual core motherboard... the chipset fan just died on me and I have just installed a replacement. Its running at almost 3000 RPM and not going over 75 degrees F. However, right after I changed it out after a few minutes when my screensaver came on, it locked up my computer. I restarted it and it locked up at the start up screen twice. I'm running windows xp 32 bit and have not had any problems other than the fan needing replaced. I turned off the screensaver and started to run my antivirus over night and when I checked it this morning it was fine, didn't freeze or lock up at all. Any thoughts on what it could be?

Thanks!!
PRO New Member

Re: ASUS Motherboard Fan

Postby yeshuas » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:26 pm

Did you use any thermal paste when you replaced the fan?

When you say 75 are you talking Farenheit or Celcius? If this is Celcius that is pretty hot
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby Pcmiztress » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:41 pm

75 degrees F and my previous fan was mounted with 4 small screws on each corner of the fan so I used the same screws. The fan was the exact same size except different color and manufacturer.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:47 pm

I've got the exact same motherboard on my AMD system and I know the chipset fan was an issue. From what you say I wonder if the southbridge chip has burned out?

How did you know to replace the fan by the way? What were the symptoms that made you check it?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby yeshuas » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:48 pm

Pcmiztress wrote:75 degrees F and my previous fan was mounted with 4 small screws on each corner of the fan so I used the same screws. The fan was the exact same size except different color and manufacturer.

You should use thermal paste in between the fan and the chipset to seal it.

As far as your screensaver causing your computer to lock up, I would go to control panel / device manager and uninstall the video drivers then reboot and let the system reinstall them, and see if that helps.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby Pcmiztress » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:59 pm

When my fan started to go bad, the message would pop up saying "fan running slow or chipset fan fail". So my friend that custom built my computer for me replaced the ASUS fan with a temporary fan that was the same as the ASUS fan. Then yesterday when I recieved my brand new replacement fan, that's when I installed it.

If something else has burned out I"m going to be mad.. I bought this motherboard in 2005 for $750 for an entire custom built system that cost me over $3500. I've tried to max this out as much as I can and can't take any more set backs. You would think when they send you a replacement fan that they would include the items you may need. ASUS was no help at all and simply apologized and said they were aware of the situation and working on an updated replacement fan.. then sent me a link to the one I bought to use in the meantime.

Thanks for all of your help!
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:05 pm

$750 dollars for the motherboard, holy crap that was way to much, that had be the MB, CPU and the memory at least.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby Pcmiztress » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:26 pm

AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4400+ (ADA4400CDBOX) RETAIL BOXED W/1MB X 2 CACHE 90NM (TOLEDO) BUNDLE W/
(*Free 256MB MP3 Player / USB Drive w/Purchase from 3/3/06 to 3/31/06, While Supplies Last!) =FREE 256MB MP3 PLAYER= ASUS A8N-SLI= MWAVE 2GB DDR400(1GBX2)= ASSEMBLE/TEST BUNDLE $757.50 Thank you for choosing mwave.com Sub-Total $757.50

There is the reciept HA!
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:31 pm

Ok so it was the motherboard + CPU + memory, that is a lot better than what I understood you to say at first, that the motherboard alone was $750 dollars.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby Pcmiztress » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:04 pm

Yeah, HA! But still... I was working at a call center doing 15 hours a day for about 3 months just so I could save up for building this thing HA! So, alot of blood, sweat and tears went into this thing.. and I say blood cause I ripped open my knuckle when i accidentally bashed it off of the pointed end of teh side panel of my case as I was replacing the fan. :bashhead

I'll see how it runs this weekend when I am home and if it still locks up, it wouldn't hurt to reinstall the video drivers (seeing as how I just took off 64 bit and installed 32 bit xp 2 months ago) and buy some thermal paste just in case.

I really appreciate the help!
PRO New Member

Next

Return to Hardware and Customizing