A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

UBUNTU Virgin

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

UBUNTU Virgin

Postby BILLMCC66 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:23 pm

I have never even seen ubuntu yet alone tried it so i may ask some very silly questions about it.
Madonna said it well "i'm like a virgin caught for the very first time like a viiiirgin"
Please be patient with me.I am at the moment burning it to disk so i can install it on a virtual PC and use it for folding so if my points go crazy for a while i'm sorry but i will be back!
STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8

Re: UBUNTU Virgin

Postby BILLMCC66 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:15 pm

OK first silly Q.
I have UBUNTU on disk but it will not let me boot into Virtual PC (it will let me boot to "C"drive so the disk is OK)
I tried running my VPC from another drive (external) but with the same result, i then ran it from an 8gb flash drive but still no go.
Any ideas please. :oops:
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:44 pm

Well, I was originally going to use VPC but when I read the following I balked. I have no idea on what 'safe graphics mode' is either. However, VMWare fully supports Ubuntu 64. Follow my SMP guide in the DC forum and if you hit some snags I'll walk you through it.

Virtual PC virtualizes a standard PC and its associated hardware. Supported Windows operating systems can run inside Virtual PC. However, other operating systems like Linux may run, but are not officially supported (for example, Ubuntu, a popular Linux distribution, can get past the boot screen of the Live CD (and function fully) when using Safe Graphics Mode).

Don't worry, VMWare is easy to set up but make sure you get the right versions of VM and Ubuntu, it's all spelled out in the guide. :yesnod:
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:05 pm

augie wrote:Well, I was originally going to use VPC but when I read the following I balked. I have no idea on what 'safe graphics mode' is either. However, VMWare fully supports Ubuntu 64. Follow my SMP guide in the DC forum and if you hit some snags I'll walk you through it.

Virtual PC virtualizes a standard PC and its associated hardware. Supported Windows operating systems can run inside Virtual PC. However, other operating systems like Linux may run, but are not officially supported (for example, Ubuntu, a popular Linux distribution, can get past the boot screen of the Live CD (and function fully) when using Safe Graphics Mode).

Don't worry, VMWare is easy to set up but make sure you get the right versions of VM and Ubuntu, it's all spelled out in the guide. :yesnod:

Can you point me to link on your guide please Augie, i don't seem to be able to find it.
thanks
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:21 pm

Hmm, I know I posted the link while editing. I must have hit the wrong button. :embarrassed: :lol:

SMP Guide
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:30 pm

Thank Augie i will get busy in the morning, today my head is spinning.
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:40 pm

BILLMCC66 wrote:Thank Augie i will get busy in the morning, today my head is spinning.

Ya, always best to take a break as you've already put in some :bashhead time.;) :)

Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:00 am

Well i have got all the bits i need.
I installed VM but at a point during installation it said "IIS" is not configured so that took about an hour to find and get sorted,(i had never heard of IIS) then it asked for an ID code, i have tried all the numbers i have (OS/HP number on the tower) but it does not recognize any of them.
There is an option to "skip"the code and i can fully install it and create a disk, but when i try to start it i get the message "cannot find ID code please contact your admin"so i am back to the beginning.
I un-installed everything and started again but i always end up being blocked by this code.Image
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:09 am

Did you enter the free serial code and activate it as per the e-mail you then got? It's the only thing that I can think of ATM.

EDIT: Maybe post a snip it pic of this. Pics are always better.

Community Director

Postby BILLMCC66 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:15 am

When i was on the download page at no time did it ask for my E-Mail, I will go back and look again

Edit
OK i did not register i will do it now
STILL LEARNING

PRO Level 8

Next

Return to Distributed Computing