A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Acer AL1716 LCD Monitor dying? YUP!

Re: Acer AL1716 LCD Monitor dying?

Postby jojo » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:32 am

yeshuas wrote:
jojo wrote:Well all that did not resolve the problem. So my system is going into the shop tomorrow for a couple days.
He thinks it might be a motherboard problem.
I will post results back here.
Thank guys for your help

Did you try another LCD?

No , we only have the one.. My tech said if was not the monitor, as its working fine when its up like right now.
While its in the shop I may as well check out prices to upgrade my video card, maybe the case, get a dvd etc, lol
Administrative

Postby augie » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:38 am

jojo wrote:
yeshuas wrote:
jojo wrote:Well all that did not resolve the problem. So my system is going into the shop tomorrow for a couple days.
He thinks it might be a motherboard problem.
I will post results back here.
Thank guys for your help

Did you try another LCD?

No , we only have the one.. My tech said if was not the monitor, as its working fine when its up like right now.
While its in the shop I may as well check out prices to upgrade my video card, maybe the case, get a dvd etc, lol

LOL, sounds like a new computer to me. Just throw in a new motherboard. :whistle :lol:
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby jojo » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:45 am

umm, you may only imbed 3 quotes within.... interesting

You're right Augie
Well we decided it was time to get a new system, not just a motherboard, which was failing.
My tech, cloned my HD and got everything onto my new HD ($100)
Man theres fancy cases out there!! I'm just happy to have a couple USB ports on the front .
Heres what I got for $595. What do you think?

I'm having some issues with extra blank windows popping up and and error message " Windows cannot find (null) Make sure yada yada" Click that off and another blank windows explorer pops up.
Just dwonloading a bunch of updates I somehow lost, and I'll see if thats fixes it.

Asus P5KPL-CM Intel G31 LGA775 w/V/A/L SATA
Intel Dual Core E5200 2.5 Ghz 2MB 800FSB BOX
Kingston DDR2 @GB PC6400 800 Mhz
Seagate 500 GB 7200Rpm 32MB SATA2
LG DVDRW H22NS30=BK 22X +/-Dual Layer SATA w/software black
17" Foxconn TS01 ATX2.0 24 pin 350 W (black)
Administrative

Postby augie » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:30 pm

Not a bad system for $600. If you're ever going to do any heavy lifting, that dual core will just work on it in the background and you can continue doing what you normally do. The onboard video will use some of your RAM but that shouldn't be a problem. Agreed on cases, they have come a long way and are more like works of art instead of the beige business boxes. :sick Ya on front USB ports, they are very handy. :yesnod:
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Re: Acer AL1716 LCD Monitor dying? YUP!

Postby jojo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:42 am

Update
I was still having monitor issues with the new system, altho not as bad.
So took the tower in again for the day and they did a diagnose, etc and all was just fine at the shop. Must be monitor after all.
So we had this old win 95 clunker in storage and hooked up that monitor, Everythng is working great!
Moral of this story.... test your monitor before ordering a new system :lol:
As hubby says it was time to get a new one anyway soon.
Now I'll watch for sales on a nice 21" LCD.
Administrative

Postby augie » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:47 am

Here's a nice one JoAnn but you might need sunglasses until you get used to it. My LG also has 300 cd/m2 (brightness) and took a while to get used to. Decent brand and shipping is free ATM. I've been watching Newegg's foray into our market and the deals are pretty decent. You may want to check out NCIX.com too, a Canadian company and where I buy most of my gear.

Acer H213H bmid Black 21.5" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 20000:1 Built in Speakers - Retail

Community Director

Postby jojo » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:00 pm

Thanks Augie , that looks like a good price for sure.
I found a 19 " here for 139 at OEM, I'm thinking about.
I contacted Acer ( hassle) cause I still have warrenty on the 17". They said to ship it to them, ok, well thats about $50. hardly worth it. Then I found a cheap way to ship, FedEx ground(dropoff) for $15.
Ok so I arrange for a Work order# thru Acer and they email me confirmation and there's a Calgary Acer repair place listed. So contact them and make arrangements to ship there.
Then I decided to check out Pro-Data's website, and find a shop right here in Edmonton, about a mile away, geeeeezzzzeee! Took it in yeaterday for reapair or whatever.
Hubby will keep the 17" and I wll get a bigger one. Sweet guy. My eyes are worse.
sorry for the ramble.
umm now I'll need a new keyboard and speakers.... right
Administrative

Previous

Return to Hardware and Customizing