A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Suggestions/Thoughts one new site design

Suggestions/Thoughts one new site design

Postby kanaloa » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:56 pm

Progressing right along... trying to get this at least initially set up over my long weekend. The wife's in Seattle so I have plenty of extra time to work (plus I've got Monday off).

In case you care or have missed the progression, name discussion was here and logo discussion here. Thanks to the members here I've been able to proceed fairly quickly.

Found a few design ideas I liked - still have some tweaks to go, but here's what I've got. Given I'm colorblind, hopefully the colors don't clash.
http://www.tradewindcreations.com/

Purpose of the site is to look modern, and server as an umbrella for all the child-sites under it. It's the corporate homepage so to speak, an easy way for me and my wife (and anyone else) to explain what we do with a single site (instead of sending them to several). It also gives us a new name to replace HSO LLC (which still will be the true legal LLC) and that should stop the questions we get about software/tech sites being under a Travel Company name, etc. Overall works like this (yes, it's diverse, exactly the point of this new site):

--Main Company
---Technology Enthusiast Site
-----Software Site(s)
--Travel Site
----Travel Site Store & Gallery
--Agriculture Site(s)
----Tropicals Site
----Local Produce Site (family)
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Re: Suggestions/Thoughts one new site design

Postby yeshuas » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:05 pm

I do have one suggestion and that would maybe be a return to start/home page instead of using the back button on internet explorer i.e when someone starts at tradewinds home page and decides to say checkout pronetworks.org a return to button that would take them back to tradewinds somewhere on the pronetworks home page at least. I am a total novice and that may be way to much work or trouble but just a thought, as it would also make visitors to pronetworks aware of your other endeavors
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby kanaloa » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:30 pm

yeshuas wrote:I do have one suggestion and that would maybe be a return to start/home page instead of using the back button on internet explorer i.e when someone starts at tradewinds home page and decides to say checkout pronetworks.org a return to button that would take them back to tradewinds somewhere on the pronetworks home page at least. I am a total novice and that may be way to much work or trouble but just a thought, as it would also make visitors to pronetworks aware of your other endeavors

Agreed, eventually I'll d that (prob in the copyright area) :yesnod: Right now since I haven't completed the site I am just making sure it has the right look and feel. :grins
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby kanaloa » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:08 am

:bump:
President

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:44 am

Can you call Trade Creations an LLC without registering that as a company? Otherwise the site in it's begining stages as it is looks good to me. I like the banner. Maybe "Hi there" is a bit informal...how about the Hawaiian equivalent rather?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby kanaloa » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:53 am

Lots of companies in the U.S. do business as a DBA (doing business as), but I am going to talk to Natasha and our attorney to possibly change the legal name too. For all intensive purposes the site will be out of site and mind - just mainly for me to use (and something we can use for Copyrights, etc). Once I nail down the legal stuff, I'll definitely make an official announcement.

I'll have Tash also polish up my writing - hope to work on this some more tomorrow. Though I've promised my brother I'd get started on his site as well.
President

Postby gries818 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:53 am

This is an excellent design. How exactly do you get your colors to "pop" and look nice together?

My problem with site design is that I can't get the colors to work well together and they always look flat... even with I use gradients and shadows.

Also, the "Tradewind Creations" logo link points to http://www.tradewindcreations/index.php... it's missing the .com.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby kanaloa » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:40 am

gries818 wrote:This is an excellent design. How exactly do you get your colors to "pop" and look nice together?

My problem with site design is that I can't get the colors to work well together and they always look flat... even with I use gradients and shadows.

Also, the "Tradewind Creations" logo link points to http://www.tradewindcreations/index.php... it's missing the .com.

Oops, thanks - nice catch. I look at sites I build so much during the construction of the site, by the time you're done - it looks old and often boring again compared to the initial photoshop mockup. It's always good to hear other folks thoughts who've never seen it. ^*^

Colors are usually very difficult for me as well, especially since I have R/G colorblindness. This one came out pretty good overall, blue and green always seem to be easier for me (PRO uses that scheme too - with more blue). Colors get me in trouble sometimes - just a few weeks ago here I accidentally used a pink background, LOL.

The real trick for me color wise is using patterns and transparency - you can get some pretty cool colors and designs that way. :yesnod:
President

Postby gries818 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:53 pm

You know, I usually just start coding my sites instead of creating a mock up first. I wonder if doing that would help me create a better design.

I'll try it for the next site I do.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts