A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Problems with multi booting

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Re: Problems with multi booting

Postby Tec1 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:38 pm

These 2 files are also present if they are the ones.

D:\Boot\en-US
bootmgr.exe.mui

Thanks
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:58 pm

I am not sure about the
bootmgr.exe.mui

The file extensions are incorrect.
It is suppose to be be bootmgr.exe
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:21 pm

BTW:

Which partition is labeld Boot in the Disk Manager.
PROfessional Member

Postby Tec1 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:43 pm

Attached is a copy of Disk Management in Vista the D:\ being XP
Attachments
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (36.37 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:58 pm

The easiest way is to have the files for both Vista boot and XP boot on both drive C: and D: due to the separation of Boot/System

Also with Windows 7 being on a logical drive will probably not work. It needs to be a primary drive.
PROfessional Member

Postby Tec1 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:08 pm

Windows 7 boots fine and have not had any problems since install. How would I go about doing as you suggest. From memory prior to installing Windows 7 when I was in XP it called itself C:\ and when I rebooted into Vista it took over as C:\ drive. Could this mean that in VistaBootPro 3.3 I should list XP in the BCD O/S as C:\ and not D:\.
PRO New Member

Postby GTX11 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:04 pm

I am using Vista Boot Pro and am quad booting:

1. Vista x32
2. Win 7 Ultimate x32
3. Win 7 Ultimate x64
4. Win 7 Home Premium x64

All without any problems. Kudos to VBP ^*^
PRO New Member

Postby snarley25 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:16 pm

There is an easier way to multiboot. Try using a physical switch. It keeps each OS totally independent and eliminates the hassles of boot loaders
becoming corrupt or overwritten. You can install a new OS (Windows 7 beta or any other) and delete it later when the next beta comes out without affecting the other OS's you have installed. You can build one of these switches yourself on the cheap. Go to www.thesataswitch.com for detailed instructions on how to build one. This switch only works with SATA drives and you must have at least two of them.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:10 pm

snarley25 wrote:There is an easier way to multiboot. Try using a physical switch. It keeps each OS totally independent and eliminates the hassles of boot loaders
becoming corrupt or overwritten. You can install a new OS (Windows 7 beta or any other) and delete it later when the next beta comes out without affecting the other OS's you have installed. You can build one of these switches yourself on the cheap. Go to http://www.thesataswitch.com for detailed instructions on how to build one. This switch only works with SATA drives and you must have at least two of them.

Very interesting possibility snarley :yesnod: But now what happens if you want to install 2 or more operating systems on a single HDD? Then you're going to end up with a dual or multi-boot menu anyway right? Personally I think it's a waste of resources to limit oneself to one operating system per hard drive. At the moment I've running 6 operating systems on three hard drives and that means I don't need to go out and buy another 3 HDD's to achieve that :yesnod:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:59 pm

I tend to agree with Graham on this.
But I slo run multiple OS on different hard drive.
The difference that I do is I install each operating system on the drives independantly by disconnecting the other drive.
I then choose my main OS (my case is Vista) and copy the necessary file for XP to the root of Vista.
I then use VistBootPro to add the XP drive and it just works. I have never had the problems that many have with multiple OSs.
When doing it this way, you just got to make sure that the boot.ini is setup corretly.
PROfessional Member

Previous

Return to PRO Software