A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Blu-ray - when to buy

Re: Blu-ray - when to buy

Postby kanaloa » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:42 am

Of course, being an LG fan, I like this one too. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8010175527

Any thoughts on the three?
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby jbullard » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:54 am

Yeah, I like the LG one too. I may have to go look at that one. :lol: I have been looking to upgrade to one with an Ethernet so I don't have to keep burning CD's for firmware. At the same time though, I may just go with a PS3. Dunno. But I do like that LG and it looks like it has a lot of great features.
VP - Software

Postby kanaloa » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:58 am

jbullard wrote:Yeah, I like the LG one too. I may have to go look at that one. :lol: I have been looking to upgrade to one with an Ethernet so I don't have to keep burning CD's for firmware. At the same time though, I may just go with a PS3. Dunno. But I do like that LG and it looks like it has a lot of great features.

Looks like our local store only has the higher end sound $399 Sony one right now, doh. The sound would be good though, when we DO get the better theater system, we'd already be set with the player too. I think I'm gonna head out and take a look. When the wife is away, the husband will play :lol: :whistle
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby kanaloa » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:39 am

Went to Circuit City to see what the buzzards had left - not much, looked like a hurricane had gone through the store. Gotta figure they knew something there before we did.

Was going to head to Best Buy, but decided to stop by HHGreg again since we got our TV there for a good price. Sure enough they had S550 for only $329 ($70 bucks cheaper than BestBuy). I have been real impressed with their prices there and their service. I'm pretty sure it's a commission system there (like CC was), but all the salesmen I've had so far are pretty laid back and very helpful.
President

Postby mnemonicj » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:03 am

John, have you looked at Upconverting DVD players lately. I just bought a Pioneer DVD player that upconverts to 1080p and has an HDMI output for $100. The only reason I would buy a stand-alone Blu-Ray player right now is because I am a Netflix subscriber and they have many of their new movies in Blu-Ray. Other than that I have several reasons not to buy a Blu-Ray player:

1. Blu-Ray movies are still too expensive
2. Can't inexpensively make backup copies of Blu-Rays
3. Can't play Blu-Ray discs in any car video systems yet
4. Can't play Blu-Ray discs on laptop computers without a Blu-Ray drive (for traveling)
5. Blu-ray is harder to rip to a computer and takes longer to compress (unless the BR disc has a "digital copy")

From what I have heard is that the upconverting DVD players are good enough for most people to not spend the extra money on Blu-Ray.
PRO Level 15

Postby NT50 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:19 pm

I looked at them and that is about it.
I like the LG 1st place and Sony second place

My wife wanted an xBox 360 with the Scene It game. So it is now in the living room just for here and if I need to I will watch a BR on it. As for buying the movies, I quit doing that and joined Netflix.

I have the 1080i TV and all with an older outdated Sony surround sound system but I really just don't care that must now to spend those kind of $$$ on surround sound and BR players.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Previous

Return to General Tech Chat