A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Using SMP for folding

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

Using SMP for folding

Postby kd1966 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:09 pm

I have not used this in the past;I have taken the CLI client and just created multiple folders and run the client individually. My understanding is that SMP is better.......... :question
PRO PLATINUM

Re: Using SMP for folding

Postby augie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:33 pm

I'll just C&P Stanford's blurb here so's you don't have to search FAQs.

The purpose of the SMP client is twofold: to take advantage of the high-performance capabilities of recent multiprocessor systems and to help develop a simulation architecture that will become one of the dominant FAH computing paradigms as multi-core chips become an industry standard over the next several years. High-performance clients enable us to run types of calculations that would be impractical on our standard architecture--calculations that enhance our scientific capabilities, and your scientific contributions, significantly.

High-performance clients often require more computing resources. SMP clients typically run on dedicated systems, 24 hours a day, and use more processing power, more disk space, more network resources, more system memory, etc. Also, a major part of the scientific benefit is dependent on rapid turnaround of work units; hence we assign short deadlines for SMP work units. To reward those contributors for donating resources beyond the typical CPU client, for completing these work units very quickly within the short deadlines, and for contributing to the development of our next-generation capabilities, we currently set a benchmark value (with included bonus*) proportional to these larger more demanding SMP work units. Without the SMP clients and your additional contributions, we would not be able to complete many important projects. *Please note the bonus value is subject to change.

Turnaround time is three days, and you may not want to run 24/7. If you do, you can get about 1.6K PPD on a quad.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby kd1966 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:01 pm

Wow; that's quite a bit ^*^

I've read about the SMP and I'm going to take some time, as it's a bit more involved than my current setup....
PRO PLATINUM

Postby augie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:48 pm

Ya it is somewhat more involved, but not that much. I've only used the mpich but not deino which is apparently moe stable but I never had issues with mpich.. You'll need dotNet 2 for XP.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby kd1966 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:33 pm

augie wrote:Ya it is somewhat more involved, but not that much. I've only used the mpich but not deino which is apparently moe stable but I never had issues with mpich.. You'll need dotNet 2 for XP.

Currently, the only x64 XP I have is on the X2-4200+ system, which I also dual boot with Windows 7 x64, which is where I'll probably run SMP, although I suppose it will also work on x86 XP, which does recognize the dual cores........... :yesnod:
PRO PLATINUM

Postby kd1966 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:11 pm

I FINALLY.......... :embarrassed: got the GPU client running on the 9800GTX ^*^

Only took 2 or three days of troubleshooting the errors................. seems there is a known issue with a certain cudart.dll file being misplaced I'm thinking during the install. I simply copied it from the App Data directory into the Program Files directory where the actual program resides. Looks like it will take about 4 hours to see a WU show up...... hopefully I will see some points increase shortly as well :drool:
Next I need to look up and see if the Nvidia GF 7600GS will work with folding........... :uhhh
PRO PLATINUM

Postby augie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:46 pm

Cool beans man, I see you got 2K points already, WTF! ^*^

Community Director

Return to Distributed Computing