A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Want to move boot sector from one hdd to another hdd

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Want to move boot sector from one hdd to another hdd

Postby mcornbill » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:53 pm

Hi Guys

So I have a problem whereby I want to get rid of one of my ageing HDD's but my pc boots from it, however my current operating system (Vista) is on a separate HDD. Vista is installed on drive C and my old OS, XP is installed on drive D. I only use Vista now but when the pc boots I have an option to choose either XP or Vista. If I remove the D HDD I get a "Disk boot failure, insert boot CD" message when powering on, it will only boot up with this drive plugged in.

In Disk Management it actually says against my C drive (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition), but it certainly must be booting from the D drive which says (System, Active, Primary Partition).

Is there a way of transferring the boot sectors from drive D to drive C as I want to bin the older drive it's starting to fail? I have just bought VistaBootPro hoping that it will let me do this but not too sure how to go about it!? The last thing I want to do is render my VIsta install useless.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Mark
PRO New Member

Re: Want to move boot sector from one hdd to another hdd

Postby Nativedude » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:43 am

two choices, you can either get VistaBootPRO in which case go to the System Bootloader tab, select Vista Loader, select Specific drive then your Vista Drive letter, then install bootloader, afterwards you can go to the Manage OS Entries tab and remove Earlier Version of Windows or Windows XP from the list, whatever it says

Second choice would be to boot from your Vista DVD, select repair my computer, then select startup repair
PRO Level 15

Return to PRO Software