A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual Boot (XP + Vista) formatted Vista and deleted C:\Boot

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Dual Boot (XP + Vista) formatted Vista and deleted C:\Boot

Postby FearTec » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:43 am

Hello

I had a Dual Boot (XP C\ + Vista D:\) and I formatted Vista and deleted the C:\Boot folder adn then installed Windows 7 where Vista was installed.

I can boot into Windows 7 OK but I cant boot back into XP.

I have recreated a C:\Boot.ini file (with *stolen software reference*) and pointed the Windows XP to C:\WINDOWS but Windows fails to load (maybe beacuse of a missing C:\BOOT Folder)?

Will VistaBootPRO detect all missing files ina Windows 7 and XP startup?
PRO New Member

Re: Dual Boot (XP + Vista) formatted Vista and deleted C:\Boot

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:56 pm

You need to have the XP boot system files (ntldr, boot.ini and NTDETECT.COM) on the drive/partition tagged system as per Disk Management. In Windows 7 it could be a small 200 MB partition with no drive letter allocated. You can find ntldr and NTDETECT.COM on your Windows XP CD (you'll need to have folder options set to not hide protected operating system files and also to show hidden files and folders) and copy them to the root of that drive partition.

Your boot.ini you can make up in notepad and we can help you with that if you post full details of how disk management sees your drives/partitions.

Once your boot system files for both operating systems are on the drive tagged System, it should really be a matter of adding a legacy entry to the BCD using VistaBootPRO's Manage OS Entries page and then reinstall the Vista bootloader>All Drives from the System Bootloader page.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to PRO Software