A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual Boot Windows 7 - Windows Vista - and/or Windows XP

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Postby kanaloa » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:20 am

This thread is a resource for dual booting between the "big three:" Vista, XP, and Windows 7.

Install Windows XP in Dual Boot with Pre-Installed Windows 7

Additionally, we have started an article on the VistaBootPRO website with more information: [html]<a href="http://www.vistabootpro.org/index.php/site/information/dual_boot_windows_7">Windows 7 Dual Boot</a>[/html]

... more to come soon.
President

Re: Dual Boot Windows 7 - Windows Vista - and/or Windows XP

Postby djb6 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:28 am

I have vista and 7 dual booting right now. It was really easy. I just partitioned my hard drive with the partition manager that came with vista, and then installed 7 on the new partition. I don't really think there was much of a trick to it.
PRO New Member

Postby kanaloa » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:08 am

I agree, I tried it last week and it was a smooth process. Vista and Windows 7 seem pretty straight forward. I think users upgrading from Windows XP may have a bit more trouble.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby kd1966 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:49 am

That's nothing; I was working with an older couple a few months ago that went straight from Windows 98 (NOT SE) to Vista................ :shocked:
PRO PLATINUM

Postby kanaloa » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:52 am

kd1966 wrote:That's nothing; I was working with an older couple a few months ago that went straight from Windows 98 (NOT SE) to Vista................ :shocked:

Are you serious? Wow... 11 years old and still actually working, now that's something. You know somewhere there's a guy running Windows 3.1 or Windows 95 thinking it's on the cutting edge. :lol:
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby GTX11 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:00 pm

I am using Vista Boot Pro and am quad booting:

1. Vista x32
2. Win 7 Ultimate x32
3. Win 7 Ultimate x64
4. Win 7 Home Premium x64

All without any problems. Kudos to VBP ^*^
PRO New Member

Postby albchong » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:14 pm

I just installed windows 7 x64 - went very smoothly on the whole. Slight hiccup was when I was asked to provide a username - windows 7 failed to pick up my wireless keyboard :no . Rebooted with MS keyboard and all was well ^*^ . One thing I have noticed is, that I can't find my vista partition where "my documents" are stored. Anyone else have this problem?

Regards,

A
PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:37 pm

albchong wrote:I just installed windows 7 x64 - went very smoothly on the whole. Slight hiccup was when I was asked to provide a username - windows 7 failed to pick up my wireless keyboard :no . Rebooted with MS keyboard and all was well ^*^ . One thing I have noticed is, that I can't find my vista partition where "my documents" are stored. Anyone else have this problem?

Regards,

A

If I understand you correctly, your Vista documents are stored in \\<Vista drive letter>\users\<yourusername>\documents
PRO PLATINUM

Postby albchong » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:42 pm

mmm. Whilst in Vista, "c" volume is my vista partition. "z" volume is my "windows 7". When I start up windows 7, my vista partition has disappeared completely from "my computer". I can however see my external USB drive. :question
PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:53 pm

albchong wrote:mmm. Whilst in Vista, "c" volume is my vista partition. "z" volume is my "windows 7". When I start up windows 7, my vista partition has disappeared completely from "my computer". I can however see my external USB drive. :question

You can try Disk Management in Win7 to assign the Vista drive a drive letter :yesnod:
PRO PLATINUM

Next

Return to Windows Boot Problems