A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Which A/V and security progs can I "lose"?

Which A/V and security progs can I "lose"?

Postby Chippychap » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:57 pm

Hi Guys, after a recent virus attack I have collected a mass of A/V and spyware stuff on my PC.
To prevent clashes and conflicts which should I lose?

I have....

Avast Pro
Zone-Alarm Pro
Spy-bot S&D
Malwarebytes
CCleaner and Pop-up Stopper Pro.............Phew

What'd you dump?

Captain Paranoid.
VEGETARIAN = AN OLD ABORIGINE WORD MEANING BAD HUNTER.
PRO Level 7

Re: Which A/V and security progs can I "lose"?

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:18 pm

It's never a good idea to run two or more AntiVirus programs because their different heuristics interfere with each others operation. I think Zone-Alarm Pro has both a firewall and an AV program right? If so I'd probably stick with Zone Alarm Pro rather than Avast!

EDIT: I see ZoneAlarm Pro is actually a firewall and anti-spyware with no AV, so it's best to keep both Avast and Zone Alarm unless you have any other AntiVirus program installed too.

Others will need to comment about the spyware software and popup blockers as I know zip about them.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:42 pm

Personally I don't run ANY popup blockers; IE is well equipped to do this, plus the two good free toolbars - Yahoo and Google each have a free popup blocker to use along side IE. As for Malwarebytes, there seems to some praise heaped upon this program........... still, I wouldn't touch it yet; however others may have more information.
Zone Alarm Pro is AV and Firewall, but costs $$$; Zone Alarm Free is a free firewall and Avast! is free AV, both will work together. AVG free is also a good AV program for PC's with less resources (RAM)
Spybot S & D is still a good program; just make sure to keep it up to date; CCleaner is excellent replacement program for Windows hard drive cleanup.
On a KNOWN CLEAN system, Spywareblaster is also a (Free) good thing to have, as it uses known database of exploits to tweak your IE and network settings; however, if your system is already suspect for infection, us AV on AV online scanners to clean your system, as Spyware blaster doesn't "find" spyware or malicious programs, it just prevents your system from being exploited.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby NT50 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:29 pm

Kevin

I have used Malwarebytes to clean a few things that others would not touch...........................

SO I would say yes keep using the free version of Malwarebytes to regularly scan your system.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:59 pm

NT50 wrote:Kevin

I have used Malwarebytes to clean a few things that others would not touch...........................

SO I would say yes keep using the free version of Malwarebytes to regularly scan your system.

Thanks for the info; I'll definately check it out; would make another good tool! ^*^
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Chippychap » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:44 am

Thanks for the heads up guys
VEGETARIAN = AN OLD ABORIGINE WORD MEANING BAD HUNTER.
PRO Level 7

Return to Security & Virus