A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 7 SMP client

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

Windows 7 SMP client

Postby imnuts » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:08 am

Anyone here running Windows 7 with the SMP client? I'm trying to get it working but I can't get the necessary files installed (via install.bat) to get the core running and I checked over at the folding forum and it doesn't appear as though anyone over there is running W7 just yet, though they do have a placeholder for comments.
PRO SUPREME

Re: Windows 7 SMP client

Postby augie » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:06 am

OMG Mark, be easy on them! :lol: It's not a real priority for Stanford to put out code for W7 right now, maybe next year eh? Jeez, they just got their GPU2 beta cores going very nicely now after a hiccup last November. Hey, try SMP in VMWare and see if it works in W7, it would be interesting to know. :yesnod:
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby imnuts » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:20 pm

I got it working. I think the issue was due to a space being in the directory that it was installed to. Have it running out of C:\folding and all seems to be working well. Maybe since Windows 7 is less resource hungry than Vista I'll have a better PPD average now.
PRO SUPREME

Postby augie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:29 pm

imnuts wrote:I got it working. I think the issue was due to a space being in the directory that it was installed to. Have it running out of C:\folding and all seems to be working well. Maybe since Windows 7 is less resource hungry than Vista I'll have a better PPD average now.

Well, you know what's the best OS to run this is right?;) Compile your own little kernel in *nix, though *nix SMP has to be the x64 version as I'm running in VMWare ATM. Good luck on your PPD, we'll see in a couple of days. I'll be installing W7 shortly so we can then compare notes on folding. :yesnod:
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby imnuts » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:03 am

augie wrote:
imnuts wrote:I got it working. I think the issue was due to a space being in the directory that it was installed to. Have it running out of C:\folding and all seems to be working well. Maybe since Windows 7 is less resource hungry than Vista I'll have a better PPD average now.

Well, you know what's the best OS to run this is right?;) Compile your own little kernel in *nix, though *nix SMP has to be the x64 version as I'm running in VMWare ATM. Good luck on your PPD, we'll see in a couple of days. I'll be installing W7 shortly so we can then compare notes on folding. :yesnod:

I have Gentoo installed on another partition on my computer, though GRUB is broken ATM due to installing Windows 7. Unfortunately, I don't want to run a 64-bit version of Linux without going full 64-bit, which isn't quite possible yet. I do know that my Gentoo install was faster than anything else I've used before as it was a very stipped down kernel and since everything installed from source, it was all compiled just for my system. FreeBSD is the only other thing I'd say compared to the responsiveness of the system.
PRO SUPREME

Postby imnuts » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:53 pm

Windows 7 seems to run slower than Vista for SMP folding performance. Maybe it's just because lately I've been doing a little bit more than I did with Vista, but all of the WU that I'm getting seem to be taking about 6-8 hrs longer now than they did previously. I used to be able to finish them in just under 2 days, now it's about 2¼-½ or so.
PRO SUPREME

Postby BILLMCC66 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:05 am

I have windows 7 running on my laptop and as a whole i find it slower than Vista but i have had Vista a while and have tweaked the speed.
I have it folding but for some reason (not yet identified) Fahmon will not give results.
I will play for a while and if i find anything i will post it.
STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8

Postby yeshuas » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:38 pm

BILLMCC66 wrote:I have windows 7 running on my laptop and as a whole i find it slower than Vista but i have had Vista a while and have tweaked the speed.
I have it folding but for some reason (not yet identified) Fahmon will not give results.
I will play for a while and if i find anything i will post it.

I had a hard time getting FAHmon to display too, but it was my fault as I had it pointing to the wrong directory as it is a little bit different for whatever reason in Window 7
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Return to Distributed Computing