A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

WHY IS ACTIVATING BOOT DRIVE SO HARD

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

WHY IS ACTIVATING BOOT DRIVE SO HARD

Postby sportfotos » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:05 am

I have had the same problem for 3 years. Because my windows vista cd wont auto boot, I run in from another hdd with a version of vista installed. I then select the new hdd on which to install the new vista version. Ok thats great not a problem....boots freely until I remove the older HDD.
Obviously, what is happening, is that the bootmgr file is on the old disk and I have a dual boot option. Both OS's boot while the old HDD is present.
Take away the old HDD and I get message bootmgr missing.
BOTH hard drives are set to active. I have tried lots of apps as well as VISTABOOTPR but they ALL fail
There must be lots of users out there that have this problem.....how can I fix it.

Thanks in anticipation
Robert
PRO New Member

Re: WHY IS ACTIVATING BOOT DRIVE SO HARD

Postby jbullard » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:55 am

Robert,

You can try the following. You are right in your statement that the bootloader must reside on the old HDD.

1. Open My Computer
2. Select the Organize menu
3. Select Folder Options
4. Select View Tab
5. Uncheck "Hide Protected Operating System Files and Folders"
6. Locate your old HDD and navigate to it
7. Look for the folder "Boot"
8. Copy that folder to the new HDD
9. Open VistaBootPRO and goto the System Bootloader screen
10. Select "Windows Vista", "Specific Drive" (New HDD), "Force Install", and then Apply.
11. Reboot

If this works you should be able to remove the old HDD and still boot into your new HDD. If it doesn't let us know and we can go from there. :yesnod:

Jason
VP - Software

Postby sportfotos » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:25 pm

Hello jbullard.
Just one question...Do you mean copy the boot file that resides in the root directory of C or the boot folder in C:\windows, or the boot folders in C:\windows\system32 etc ???

I just want to make sure I do it right.

I will follow your instructions tonight when I get home from work.

Regards,
Robert
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:55 pm

sportfotos wrote:Hello jbullard.
Just one question...Do you mean copy the boot file that resides in the root directory of C or the boot folder in C:\windows, or the boot folders in C:\windows\system32 etc ???

I just want to make sure I do it right.

I will follow your instructions tonight when I get home from work.

Regards,
Robert

I am pretty sure he is talking about the "Folder" called "Boot" which will be in the root directory of the old HD
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby jbullard » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:13 am

Robert,

Just following up to see if this worked for you.

Jason
VP - Software

Postby sportfotos » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:09 am

Hello Jason,
I can copy all files OK EXCEPT for 2 files in the boot folder. The 2 files are BCD.log (a text file which shouldn't matter) and BCD system file 40KB. From what I have read this is the main file I need. I keep getting a message "the action cant be completed because the file is open in another program".
C drive from where I attempt to copy the file from is not boot drive so the file cant be in use.

I look forward to any further assistance you can give me.
Regards,
Robert
PRO New Member

Postby sportfotos » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:47 am

Just an update on progress??. I have tried to export the BCD file using bcdedit because Vista wont let me copy it. I have been successful in doing this BUT as usual there is another anomaly. The C drive BCD file contains 40KB but when I export it to E drive it only contains 24KB and does not have the system watermark that the original has.......beats me!!

BCDEDIT says file exported successfully.

Cheers
Robert
PRO New Member

Postby sportfotos » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:06 am

^*^ :whistle
Yes you will see from my happy face I eventually got it. Your assistance was the foundation for my success and I thank you.

I persevered with the bcdedit and even though I only got a 24KB file instead of the 40KB original, I decided to try it so I re-booted without the old boot drive and to my surprise it booted!!!

So after 3 years of having to run 2 C drives, I can now go back to just the one as it contains all the boot info.
A very happy ending....I will celebrate with a beer or two.
Thanks again to all concerned.

Regards,
Robert
PRO New Member

Return to PRO Software