A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Folding with 2 GPU's Now + 1 SMP

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

Folding with 2 GPU's Now + 1 SMP

Postby augie » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:23 pm

I thought I'd make a new thread about this as much of the info is back there in the long one.;)

Well, I finally got my VGA dummy load plug today, what with Paypal's eCheck, all the Christmas mail and me being very rural. Took me about 2 minutes to screw the dummy plug onto the VGA adapter and screw that into the card, went into nVidia's Control Panel, checked the second monitor, got the 'New Hardware Found' da-bump sound and just double-clicked on the premade shortcut that I had and away I went! :energetic: :yahoo: No more :pull-hair: :() That reminds me, I'll have to write a dual GPU guide now, it's not that hard.;) I mean both the guide and getting it set up.

Mind you, a VGA dummy load is not needed when one has a two monitor setup, it's just needed to fool the card that there is a monitor hooked up and for just a few bucks too. BTW, the guy sent me two plugs so anyone that needs one can just PM me, first come and first served and free.;)

I haven't OC'd the second card yet, I'll wait until I check the temps but it's going just great now @ 4K PPD! I should be getting 10.4K PPD now (as long as I don't get an a1 core on the SMP, basically double the time for the same points as opposed to the a2 core) and I still have quite a bit of headroom for a second SMP in VMWare, I just need to get some more RAM.

Thanks to Treihydral for trying to get my second card going with a KVM switch as he has successfully done with his setup, I was just missing the DVI plug for the monitor I believe.

My VMWare SMP folding (~1.9K PPD) doesn't show in the pic as I'm still struggling with that part of FahMon but here's the rest:

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Re: Folding with 2 GPU's Now + 1 SMP

Postby kd1966 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:27 am

I have really got to get my arse in gear and get that 64 bit monster folding :embarrassed:
:lol:
PRO PLATINUM

Postby augie » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:33 am

kd1966 wrote:I have really got to get my arse in gear and get that 64 bit monster folding :embarrassed:
:lol:

Hahahaha! _-~~~ :cheerswine:
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby c0ldfyr3 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:20 pm

Nice Work Augie, i will have to get one of those plugs for this computer. its my gaming machine, but as i am not really playing much of WoW, or Crysis anymore i might as well have it fold a bit too. looking forward to seeing your guide.
PRO Level 15

Postby BILLMCC66 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:52 pm

Nice to see you got it going Augie.
I may try playing with the speed clock on mine in a day or so and see if i can squeeze a little more out of it.
STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:36 pm

BILLMCC66 wrote:Nice to see you got it going Augie.
I may try playing with the speed clock on mine in a day or so and see if i can squeeze a little more out of it.

You may want to use RivaTuner instead of the OC'r that was supplied with the card, I find it better than eVGA's crippled version, yours is probably different. I'd go slow while checking temps and all at first besides checking how loud you can take the increased fan noise.

Anyways Bill, start a new thread in hardware when you're attempting this so more folks can see it. BTW, I just push the shader clock mainly and the core/memory clocks by %2 to %5 as more only creates extra heat with no increase in PPD. Good luck! ^*^

Community Director

Return to Distributed Computing