A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Postby augie » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:05 pm

Well guys and gals, we have our own little home now for us folders. ^*^ :yahoo: I'll be moving threads and starting guides and basically get this up and running. Any and all suggestions and/or help would be greatly appreciated! :yesnod:

Welcome aboard!

Participation in Folding@home is the responsibility of the individual user. While Pronet may provide information on how to participate, we cannot be held liable for any damages which you may incur. We encourage you to only use your own personal computer or computers that you own or have control over. Being a part of a Folding Team can be a fun and worthwhile activity, but you do so at your own risk.

What does Folding@Home do? Folding@Home is a distributed computing project which studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. We use novel computational methods and large scale distributed computing, to simulate timescales thousands to millions of times longer than previously achieved. This has allowed us to simulate folding for the first time, and to now direct our approach to examine folding related disease.
What are proteins and why do they "fold"? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out their biochemical function, they remarkably assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, remains a mystery. Moreover, perhaps not surprisingly, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious effects, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, and Parkinson's disease.

Folding@Home, Main Site
Folding Download
Folding@Home, PROnetworks Team Page
Folding@Home: Extreme Overclocking - Detailed Stats Page

PROnetworks Team Number: 13790

Team Ranking (incl. aggregate) 308 of 43624
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Re: Welcome to our new Folding@Home Home

Postby yeshuas » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:30 pm

Cool, I like it put up a couple pictures Image some new curtains, maybe a recliner or two, a big screen, make sure the room is cool and well ventilated so the folding machines don't overheat.......... :pc
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby BILLMCC66 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:58 am

OK nice to have dedicated folding forumImage

I will post the first query?
I have been folding for the team a while now and am impressed with our points total for such a small teamImage

It took a while for me to get the PC up to speed, I was over 6K but for some reason my speed has dropped (not by much) and i am curious as to why.
If i was working on a 384 point wu fahmon would give me a score of 6540ppd but now it only gives me 5720ppd.
Any suggestions as to what has happened?
STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8

Postby BILLMCC66 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:06 pm

augie wrote:Well guys and gals, we have our own little home now for us folders. ^*^ :yahoo: I'll be moving threads and starting guides and basically get this up and running. Any and all suggestions and/or help would be greatly appreciated! :yesnod:

Welcome aboard!

A sticky on how to get a PC folding would be good.
Info for newcomers on how to download and load clients and maybe we can get a few more folders in the team.
STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8

Postby augie » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:41 pm

BILLMCC66 wrote:OK nice to have dedicated folding forumImage

I will post the first query?
I have been folding for the team a while now and am impressed with our points total for such a small teamImage

It took a while for me to get the PC up to speed, I was over 6K but for some reason my speed has dropped (not by much) and i am curious as to why.
If i was working on a 384 point wu fahmon would give me a score of 6540ppd but now it only gives me 5720ppd.
Any suggestions as to what has happened?

Ya, they went down in points for me too but the newish 353's just bomb right along. Just hope you don't get any 511's as those are very low, had one a couple of days ago.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
Community Director

Postby kd1966 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:21 pm

Great idea for the FAH forum spot! ^*^

Also agree a little tutorial would be nice, especially now that they have ways of working with the GPU's on high end systems.... :geek: So yes, that means I don't know how to do this yet; I'm still working in cmd prompt, as I like to be reminded that FAH is running, whereas the service does not do this for me.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby augie » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:44 pm

kd1966 wrote:Great idea for the FAH forum spot! ^*^

Also agree a little tutorial would be nice, especially now that they have ways of working with the GPU's on high end systems.... :geek: So yes, that means I don't know how to do this yet; I'm still working in cmd prompt, as I like to be reminded that FAH is running, whereas the service does not do this for me.

Well I'm staring a guide ATM for GPU folders who already have it going and want to add some 2K PPD to their production without having to invest in extra hardware, except for some sweat equity, to get it going as there's plenty of CPU cycles to mop up there on a quad without affecting system performance for daily use. This is very important to me as this is my main rig as it is for many folk.

I will get to making a simpler and friendlier GPU2 guide as compared to Stanford's, eventually, but I'm only one slow person. Hint hint people.;) :whistle You may as well start a thread if you run into problems, check out Stanford's Guide, it's really not that hard and we could make a guide with your and other's issues or caveats included if you go the console route and/or the systray client too for beginners. The Stanford guides do tend to be somewhat arcane. :yesnod:

Oh, you can install the Systray or the CLI versions, I prefer the CLI even though I use up a spot on the taskbar. You can also use FahMon to monitor your progress and give you projected PPD for whatever WU that is running along with historical WU times etc. Most everyone uses this to compare notes. Call it an F@H benchmarking tool.

BTW, did you just call me 'spot'? :uhhh :lol:

Community Director

Postby augie » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:25 am

Whoa, Treihydral seems to be in a bit of difficulty ATM. Reboot, reuse and recycle! :silly: :bashhead

Community Director

Postby Treihydral » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:28 pm

augie wrote:Whoa, Treihydral seems to be in a bit of difficulty ATM. Reboot, reuse and recycle! :silly: :bashhead

Nope. Everything is fine.
Had some friends and co-workers over for the Florida, Oklahoma game.

One of the guys liked the backup machine and said how much. I said $800. 20 minutes later he was back from the ATM with the cash. :yesnod:

Hence the new backup machine specs below.

The two 8800gtx's are no longer folding for me.
PRO Level 5

Postby imnuts » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:29 pm

Should have setup the system with the folding app installed and have it fold for you after he started it back up :whistle
PRO SUPREME

Next

Return to Distributed Computing