A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Strange Core Temps New X2 5200+

Strange Core Temps New X2 5200+

Postby skyline » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:47 am

So I just got a new X2 5200+ (yes, for Christmas) and installed it about 10 minutes ago. I booted it up first time, no issues, but everything is reporting core temps of 9C and 3C average, with maxes of only 16C and 15C. Anyone have any idea why these are so low?

Thanks.

EDIT:

After some messing around, I found that the CPU was only running at 1ghz, with a FSB of 200, and a 5x multiplier. So I went into the BIOS and reset to factory setting, then rebooted.
Now CPU-Z is reporting that the multiplier is either x13.5, x10, x9, or x5, sporadically bouncing between all of the four.
Then poking around CPU-Z a bit more, I noticed that the RAM frequency kept spiking, between 400, 360, and 200.
Anyone have any idea why it's doing that with the multiplier and the RAM?
PRO Level 12

Postby yeshuas » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:29 pm

What is the motherboard it is in?

Did you use thermal paste correctly?
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Re: Strange Core Temps New X2 5200+

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:19 pm

skyline wrote:So I just got a new X2 5200+ (yes, for Christmas) and installed it about 10 minutes ago. I booted it up first time, no issues, but everything is reporting core temps of 9C and 3C average, with maxes of only 16C and 15C. Anyone have any idea why these are so low?

Thanks.

EDIT:

After some messing around, I found that the CPU was only running at 1ghz, with a FSB of 200, and a 5x multiplier. So I went into the BIOS and reset to factory setting, then rebooted.
Now CPU-Z is reporting that the multiplier is either x13.5, x10, x9, or x5, sporadically bouncing between all of the four.
Then poking around CPU-Z a bit more, I noticed that the RAM frequency kept spiking, between 400, 360, and 200.
Anyone have any idea why it's doing that with the multiplier and the RAM?

This sounds like a _feature_ (not a bug :P ) of your AMD chip, as they have been doing extensive work on lowering the energy print of their CPUs.

So rather than the CPU "spiking" as you suggest, a more accurate way of looking at it would be that "cut-off" occurs when computing requirements are low, so that your computer does not waste electricity when sitting around basically idle (and of course in purist computing terms, normal computer usage basically equates to "sitting around idle" ;) )

(at least that's a paraphrase of what I heard some months ago of what AMD was planning for its future low energy CPUs)
PRO VETERAN

Postby kd1966 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:04 pm

As mentioned above - check BIOS settings and set appropriately for your CPU; also, an overheating CPU (Lack of sufficient thermal paste) will slow itself down, so if you can describe how (Or if) you applied the thermal paste............ pics would help here
PRO PLATINUM

Re: Strange Core Temps New X2 5200+

Postby skyline » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:15 pm

JabbaPapa wrote:
This sounds like a _feature_ (not a bug :P ) of your AMD chip, as they have been doing extensive work on lowering the energy print of their CPUs.

So rather than the CPU "spiking" as you suggest, a more accurate way of looking at it would be that "cut-off" occurs when computing requirements are low, so that your computer does not waste electricity when sitting around basically idle (and of course in purist computing terms, normal computer usage basically equates to "sitting around idle" ;) )

(at least that's a paraphrase of what I heard some months ago of what AMD was planning for its future low energy CPUs)

This is sort of the conclusion I have come to, although the CPU is not one of the new low energy cores I have seen, it is the standard core. I had it running Prime95 as a burn in last night, and it stayed at the x13.5 multiplier, never once dropping down, so I am going to assume that is is indeed a feature, and that I was just being over cautious for my new chip

Thanks for the replies though :roleeyes
PRO Level 12

Return to Hardware and Customizing