A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

I am now post virus

Postby Chippychap » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:00 pm

Update.
I got rid of AVG because of the possibility of clashing.
I've run Nod32 twice, not yet in safe mode, the 1st time if found 3 "Things" the second time none.
The pop-up windows have almost disappeared.
The seemingly random "This program cannot display the webpage" thing is annoying but at least I'm online and able to tweak and repair.
I realise now how stupid the title of my thread is, instead of "post" read "with"
My next step is to get that spybot S&D doodah up and running.
Bless you all guys, it's not over but you have given me a firm shove in the right direction.
VEGETARIAN = AN OLD ABORIGINE WORD MEANING BAD HUNTER.
PRO Level 7

Postby NT50 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:36 pm

If you have the new polymetric virus that is going around called AV2008 or AV2009, then you will need to reference to this thread. I have been successful 1 out of three times getting rid of it. The thing about it is it never install the same way twice.

If not then you need to goto properties on My Computer and disable the System Restore. Do a Disk Cleanup. Get rid of Internet Explorer temp files. download Malwarebyte and Hijackthis. More than likely the virus is regenerating itself in the system restore.

I really need to know what you have. If you have a shield popping up in the system try then let me know what it looks like.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby Chippychap » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:12 am

Hi Jeff,
Phew! it's true I can't access Windows update and various at first seemingly random sites, just says it cannot show these pages.
I booted-up this morning and at first it just hung on darkness.
Power off and then it booted normally but as though all the cookies had gone, had to log back into everything.
I may have to take my PC and your instructions to my PC guy as it's more than a tad over my head.
Please forgive me for wimping out but a good guy will have less to repair if I stop tweaking and fiddling.
Sincere, sincere thanks and much respect to all of you.
I'll be back.
PRO Level 7

Postby Chippychap » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:03 am

Still here.
Please forgive my wimpy last message.
I decided rather than to hand the PC over to someone else I would fight it as far as I could.
No good just plugging in another computer and faffing that one up as well.
I think it's the "Freescan-Fakealert" bug.
The problems I DID find is that it altered the boot. It was changed to boot from removeable, so would not light up, I now check it every time I boot.
Not ideal but at least it gets me through till I can sort it out.
It won't let me get to updates, let me install S&D, or run stuff like ad-aware.90% of the above is worthless newbie cheese but I hope that there is something in there that is usefull to another.
Last time another PC was in the shop it was the erratic booting, I NOW know somewhere to look, and save $100+ dollars.
I feel I disappointed Jeff with my wussy attitude and that really upsets me.
I may still cock all this up but I learn nothing when things are going well.
Happy Christmas guys.

Ken
PRO Level 7

Postby NT50 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:37 pm

Go here and read taht procedure. It may help you.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:14 pm

I have been doing malware removal myself for some time now, and the guys here at PRO won't steer you wrong.

As a side note, we had some laptops at work that got infected when users took them home and obviously surfed the net, then brought them back in and our Mcafee couldn't get rid of the stuff. I was the only person in our group who was comfortable dealing with malware removal. AV2009 was one of the nasties I've seen and those types are fairly difficult to completely remove.

Bottom line - don't beat yourself up too badly; if you are guilty of anything, it is of being human, and that is what malware writers count on...............
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Chippychap » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:49 am

Bless you Kevin and Merry Christmas
PRO Level 7

Previous

Return to Security & Virus