A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Phishing Scam That Had My Name and Address!

Phishing Scam That Had My Name and Address!

Postby mnemonicj » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:56 pm

How the heck did they know my name and address and link it to this e-mail address? The general way the e-mail is written about who it is from and the e-mail address, ebillinfo@customercenter.net, tipped me off.

I would like to call the number sometime from a general phone that cannot be linked back to me just to see what these fools are trying to pull.

December 10, 2008

*MY NAME*
*MY FULL ADDRESS*

Dear *MY NAME*,

We take great care to keep your personal information secure. As part of these ongoing efforts, we are notifying you that the computer you use for online bill payment may have been exposed to software that puts the security of your computer's contents at risk. This letter will help you determine if your computer is actually infected and advise you how to fix the problem and protect yourself against future risk.

The malicious software affects some but not all customers who accessed online bill payment on Tuesday, December 2, 2008. For a limited period of time, some customers were redirected from the authentic bill payment service to another site that may have installed malicious software. Your computer may be infected if all of the following are true:

You attempted to access online bill payment between 12:30 a.m. and 10:10 a.m. Eastern time (GMT -5) on Tuesday, December 2, 2008, and
You were using a computer with the Windows operating system, and
You reached a blank screen rather than the usual bill payment screen when you attempted to navigate to online bill payment, and
After reaching the blank screen, your computer's virus protection program did not tell you via pop-up or other messaging that malicious software was detected and quarantined.

If all four of the conditions above are true, your computer may be infected. We have partnered with McAfee
PRO Level 15

Postby jbullard » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:02 am

VP - Software

Postby mnemonicj » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:41 am

jbullard wrote:Read this; it may help.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/03 ... _hijacked/

Yeah, I think this is the issue I was e-mailed for. I just received a letter today for the same issue. Luckily, according to my web browsing history, I did not do any bill paying during those hours.
PRO Level 15

Return to Security & Virus