A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual Boot Vista and Dos

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Dual Boot Vista and Dos

Postby gmehenge » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:37 pm

I'm curious about purchasing VistaBootPro but before I do I would like to know if what I want to use it for is possible:

1 hard drive, 2 partitions
Partition 1 - Vista
Partition 2 - Dos (and using cmd or dos within the OS is not an option)

I would like to have the option when booting up the computer to boot to either Vista or to Dos.

The reason for this is because I would like to have Ghost.exe on my dos partition and use a script i've been using for years that allows me to take an image of the OS and place it onto the DOS partition. That way if I ever want to restore the image I can just boot to the DOS partition and run my script and BAM the OS is restored back to a clean copy.

Can VistaBootPro enable me to boot up like this? If so, plese let me know how or if there directions online, please send me the link.

Thanks in Advance
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:51 pm

I've never done this personally, but theoretically you should install DOS first, then a DOS-based Windows like 98SE, then XP, then Vista -- and your multi-boot environment should hopefully work.

And yes, that's easier said than done.

Regarding VistaBootPRO it is essentially a tool providing some tools for modification of the Vista/2k8/W7 BCD store, containing boot data used by these Windows versions and supporting some boot options of the previous NT-based Windws generation -- it is NOT an all-inclusive boot-management tool ;)
PRO VETERAN

Return to PRO Software