A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows Home Server - Topics of Interest

Postby NT50 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:16 pm

Got it resolved.....................

My new ISP had me on a private IP address. Remember the 172.?.?.? That is a private IP just liek 192.?.?.?

They switched me over to a public IP address and everything is working GREAT.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby shreader » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:06 pm

I just took a spin over there & it is working from here also ^*^
Software Director

Postby shreader » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:03 am

I backed up the New PC w/ WHS took: 2 hrs for 3 partitions & apx 250GB of SATA Storage drive files.

Next I restored Vista x86 to another partition, same size but a 'Logical' partition. From putting the CD in the slot & waiting for the software, drivers, etc. to load... to... finish & restart to original Vista x86 it took 1 hr, 20 min.

I had to add the new restored Vista to the boot menu w/ VBP 3.3, restarted & booted into the 'Vista x86 Test' partition (incl a 'start normally' wdo) fine. Even is activated & came to PRO & my pw & cookies are good.

No complaints w/ Windows Home Server here ^*^
Software Director

Postby shreader » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:29 pm

Windows Home Server Power Pack 2 Coming Mid-2009
Fri, Nov 28, 2008

Australian magazine APC recently interviewed Stephen Leonard, Senior Product Manager for Windows Home Server regarding plans to release
Software Director

Re:

Postby shreader » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:26 pm

Windows Home Server - Announcing Power Pack 2

We are pleased to announce Windows Home Server Power Pack 2. Power Pack 2 fixes known issues and adds new features to improve the Windows Home Server experience. Enhancements include: Improvements to remote access configuration, enhanced functionality for computers running Windows Media Center, and content streaming support for Windows Media Center Extenders. Power Pack 2 adds Italian language support on new home servers.

Power Pack 2 will be made available via Windows Update. Users need to have Windows Home Server with Power Pack 1 already installed on their home server. Power Pack 2 will automatically install as part of Windows Update if Automatic Updates is enabled on the home server. (How to turn on automatic updates.) The English version release date is March 24th. Chinese, French, German, Japanese and Spanish is currently scheduled to be available before the end of April.

:moreat: WHS Team Blog

Here are the Release Notes
Software Director

Re: Windows Home Server - Topics of Interest

Postby NT50 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:58 pm

Well I have had enough of WHS. This is the second time it has crashed in 2 years. It is just not worth it. I am going to install Server 2008 and just use it as a file manage/backup service with RAID setup properly. Enough is enough. To me WHS is a fluke.
PROfessional Member

Postby yeshuas » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:00 pm

NT50 wrote:Well I have had enough of WHS. This is the second time it has crashed in 2 years. It is just not worth it. I am going to install Server 2008 and just use it as a file manage/backup service with RAID setup properly. Enough is enough. To me WHS is a fluke.

I was just about to try in again, until I saw your post.

I tried it when it first came available, and really didn't have a big enough set of Hard drives, so not enough room. It didn't delete the old backups properly, so I kept running out of room for backups.

Like you, I prefer to use Windows Server 2008, and since I have it available to me; why not use it instead.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby NT50 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:18 pm

I got it back up and running enough to make sure i have all my files backed up.
I am downloading 2k8 now and will probably just use syntoy or soem backup program to backup what I need.
PROfessional Member

Postby shreader » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:19 pm

Yesterday I restarted the WHS rig (has been turned off for months) got 30 updates incl. PP2, collected the Connector sw from the software folder, deleted all the backups for the Main Rig that were from before I installed the Windows 7 RTM (x86 & x64), installed The Connector sw on the main rig, got the UN & PW sorted out for the shared folders & backed that baby up, after 3 hours I crashed & this AM when I checked it, the window said 100% & successful. I checked the backup & it has both the HDDs & (5) partitions there so I am satisfied that it is a good one.
While I had the backup open I got a fresh copy of the network drivers for the main rig that are saved in a folder "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" in the WHS backup.

I feel a bit safer now that I have all that backed-up finally again, need to start a regular BU routine now I suppose.
Software Director

Postby NT50 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:18 pm

I sold my WHS ans went to automatic offsite backup.
PROfessional Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Windows Support