A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Anyone use IIS7?

Anyone use IIS7?

Postby T-Man1984 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:29 pm

I am experimenting with running my website from my home PC. I installed all the components of IIS in Vista Home Premium.

When I set up and test my connection I get this:

Test Connection:
Authorization Cannot verify access to path ...

The server is configured to use pass-through authentication with a built-in
account to access the specified physical path. However, IIS Manager cannot
verify whether the built-in account has access. Make sure that the
application pool identity has Read access to the physical path. If this
server is joined to a domain, and the application pool identity is
NetworkService or LocalSystem, verify that <domain>\<computer_name>$ has
Read access to the physical path. Then test these settings again.

What am I doing wrong? How do I set up permissions?

Thanks
PRO Level 6

Postby Absolute-Zero » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:23 pm

To check the permissions on the physical folder, right click on the home directory for the site, select Properties and then Security and ensure that their are, at least, read permissions for the "Users" security group, this will ensure that all inbuilt users on the system should have read access to the folder.

Then check to see what account the site's Application Pool is running as. To do this, open the IIS management console, find the Application Pools entry, right-click on "DefaultAppPool" and then select "Advanced Properties". The account the App Pool is running as is listed under "Identity". It'll probably be set to NetworkService. Make sure this account also has read permissions on the home directory. If that doesn't work, try changing the Identity entry from NetworkService to one of the user accounts on the machine, such as Administrator.

If you do change the identity to Administrator, I recommend you only do this when testing. If you plan to publish the site on the Internet, you'll want to change the Identity to one with a lower access level, maybe even create one specifically for the website.
PROfessional Member

Postby T-Man1984 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:06 am

Thanks! I got it working...

http://69.47.50.154

Another question... The website works fine. However, I was thinking of hosting some of my photos, videos, and even music. I wanted to set up appropriate folders in the website directory.

After the IP I would just add the folder name to access the files in each folder. Like this

http://69.47.50.154/music

or

http://69.47.50.154/photos.

However, when I add those folders and try and navigate to them, I get this message

Error 403

You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

How come it won't let me in to the folders, if I have access to the directory they are in?
PRO Level 6

Postby Absolute-Zero » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:13 am

Okay, that's probably because Directory Browsing is disabled in this folders and there's no Default Document (index.html, index.htm, index,asp, default.htm, etc.) in there for the browser to display.

Highlight the folders under the IIS manager, and then double-click on the Directory Browsing icon. On the right-hand side is a list of actions, one of which being "Enable". Click on that and you should be able to browse through those folders via your Internet Browser software.
PROfessional Member

Postby Absolute-Zero » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:03 pm

Any joy?
PROfessional Member

Postby T-Man1984 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:23 pm

Yes, that did the trick... Now I am just trying to find a way to make it password protected.

I would like to make an index page with a login box. Once the user logs in, it takes them to the directory page.

Any ideas?
PRO Level 6

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts