A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

ASUS Express Gate ?

ASUS Express Gate ?

Postby shreader » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:57 pm

2 weeks ago my main rig blue out, I trouble shot for a day then searched for new components.

I now have a ASUS - P5QC, Q6600 Quad, & 2 GB of memory & life is good again ^*^

My question is does anyone here use the ASUS Express Gate feature of instant access?
The reminder to set-it-up appears every time I start the PC.

Here is a Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=589gvghX6QE
Software Director

Postby augie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:50 pm

I don't find it useful at all. Yes, it does pop up in 15 secs or so but then if you want your OS, it takes the same amount of time. Plus, I couldn't configure my screen res. so that the web page wouldn't completely show, it's too wide for my widescreen monitor! Sounds good on paper but sucks in practice, anyways my rig is on 24/7 for folding so it's completely useless in my case.

If you don't want it then just disable it in the 'Tools' section of the BIOS to get rid of the reminder. Mine was set to 'disabled' by default.

BTW, congrats on the new rig! Good choice. ^*^ :lol:
Last edited by augie on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby shreader » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:45 pm

Thank you augie for the advise & tip on shutting A-EG down.

Thanks augie, I did notice several people here at PRO have the ASUS PQ5 board & that helped w/ my decision making.

I am still loading the OS's after work & all the backed-up data + AV, tweaking, activation, more tweaking, etc. Maybe tonight after work I'll get to the BIOS, I do still have Vista x86 & x64 to install though (got XP PRO + partitioning, etc, last night).

I just backup the whole desktop, Documents & other to folders on the internal storage HDD (500 GB) then its esay to move them all back where they need to go.
Software Director

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:37 am

Congrats on the new system JD ^*^

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby shreader » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:01 pm

Thank you Graham ^*^

& Thank you again Augie for the tip on shutting A-EG off, I did that last night + a few other tweaks.

I tried the DDR3 1600 MHz ram (4GB) but had to return it as after reading the manual I confirmed what was posted at the ASUS forum that the P5QC "does not support memory modules made up of 128 MB chips". Had a bit of a time finding out what the 2 GB memory modules were made up of, which I started with, I ended up w/ the DDR3 1333 MHz but only 2GB (2x 1GB) from the QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

This was also posted in the ASUS forum.
The one thing Q6600/9550 retains that Q8200 lacks is VT support; however, the three processors will sport similar price tags, and Q8200 has already begun to replace Q6600 in system designs, notably from Gateway.

I really want that for my Windows 7 OS installation, when its released.
Software Director

Return to Hardware and Customizing