A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Restart x in a pooched resolution

Restart x in a pooched resolution

Postby sceaser » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:27 pm

I have RHEL 4 installed on a microsoft VM and for the life of me cant get a proper resolution , I can see enough to login , and I can get to a terminal , but
there is no way Ill be able to edit a files or script. I really cant read the terminal , but could run a line of code if this will help.
Ive changed the resolution on the software "VM" to all possible states to no luck , Any help ?? Microsoft VM 2007 is my version , the resolution is fine until
it goes past the boot loader. :)

Thanks guys , I reinstalled and changed Res to Thousands of colors with the 800 X 600 Resolution and Presto , RHEL 4.6 Installed in MSVM07 :)
Last edited by sceaser on Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Main Rig Multiscreen^5_KVM+3 and Extra for Laptop, X4 AMD MSI Windows 7
Moblie Hp NX7400 Ubuntu
Mini Hp Ubuntu
Server Custom X6 AMD Linux Server
Server Hp Proliant X4x2 Linux Server
3X Dell Dual Core 3.0GHZ Linux Server
PRO Level 2

Postby Nativedude » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:29 pm

Something like this might help
I'm pretty sure the problem is that the Linux doesn't have the proper video drivers installed

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en
PRO Level 15

Postby imnuts » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:00 am

Getting SSH running on the virtual machine should allow you to edit scripts/files via another system until you get the problem fixed as well. It may make it easier to compile/install anything you need to or edit the xorg.conf file.
PRO SUPREME

Dude

Postby sceaser » Thu May 01, 2008 4:08 am

That was a really good Idea , If I would have started up sshd , I could have logdin :) and yes wow , oh well the whole install was totally good and shiz , but as soon as Xserver started with the new login screen it was a crazy mess ,
Thanks for the help , On reinstall "Thousands of colors " worked out for me @ 800X600[/b]
Main Rig Multiscreen^5_KVM+3 and Extra for Laptop, X4 AMD MSI Windows 7
Moblie Hp NX7400 Ubuntu
Mini Hp Ubuntu
Server Custom X6 AMD Linux Server
Server Hp Proliant X4x2 Linux Server
3X Dell Dual Core 3.0GHZ Linux Server
PRO Level 2

Re: Dude

Postby etechno » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:13 am

If having ssh running as the other guy said you should always check your /var/log/Xorg.x.log files, also the messages file holds a lot of valuable help and info if troubleshooting to see if your kernel can handle the certain video cards. :) Also, since package management is coming more widely avail I would recommend always to run depending on the distro:

yum, apt, and etc... :)

It's not about *nix loading the drivers, it's what the kernel can support in the long run! A lot of good kernel hackers out there in this world =)

sceaser wrote:That was a really good Idea , If I would have started up sshd , I could have logdin :) and yes wow , oh well the whole install was totally good and shiz , but as soon as Xserver started with the new login screen it was a crazy mess ,
Thanks for the help , On reinstall "Thousands of colors " worked out for me @ 800X600[/b]
PRO New Member

Return to Other Operating Systems