A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Unplugged XP Drive for Vista Setup: Can't Dual Boot to XP

Postby NT50 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:54 pm

When you have Vista running, you will need the files ntldr, ntdetect, and boot.ini on the same root of the drive the bootmgr and the folder Boot resides on. You will probably have to modify you boot.ini to post to the correct rdisk and partition
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby Peter.Steele » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:44 pm

NT50 wrote:When you have Vista running, you will need the files ntldr, ntdetect, and boot.ini on the same root of the drive the bootmgr and the folder Boot resides on. You will probably have to modify you boot.ini to post to the correct rdisk and partition

I already do. See the attached screenshots as well as my boot.ini file. Everything -looks- correct, but maybe I'm missing something ...

Boot.ini wrote:[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

correction: after I make another post after this one I'll be able to post the pictures.
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:16 am

From what you have said rdisk(0) does point to disk 1 and partition(1) points to the first partition on disk 0
PROfessional Member

Postby Peter.Steele » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:25 am

NT50 wrote:From what you have said rdisk(0) does point to disk 1 and partition(1) points to the first partition on disk 0

So .... then .... what do I need to do?
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:41 am

Post an image of your disk manager from Vista
There are know problems when running Pata and Sata with Vista.
Some have been worked out and some never did
PROfessional Member

Postby Peter.Steele » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:51 am

NT50 wrote:Post an image of your disk manager from Vista
There are know problems when running Pata and Sata with Vista.
Some have been worked out and some never did

Looks like I have to wait until tomorrow, so I'll have been registered for a full day. Failing that, I can at least tell you what it says in there.

Vista is showing Disk 0 as the PATA drive, and then disk 1 & 2 as the XP and Vista drives, respectively. XP shows the XP drive as disk 0, with disk 1 being the Vista drive. I think it shows the PATA drive as disk 2 in XP ...

I have tried the boot.ini with both rdisk(1) and rdisk(0), and neither one works.
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:15 am

Try rdisk(2)
What is it going to hurt
Worst comes to worst pull the Pata out and get rid of it and we can then get it working
PROfessional Member

Postby Peter.Steele » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:25 am

NT50 wrote:Try rdisk(2)
What is it going to hurt
Worst comes to worst pull the Pata out and get rid of it and we can then get it working

Yeah ... the PATA is coming out in the next few days anyway - I've got another 500GB SATA on order from Newegg, and I need the power plugs. :P The PATA can go into the rotation for an external case I've got, along with ... christ, like 4 other drives. :D
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:41 am

There have been Pata and Sata problems since day 1 with Vista.
PROfessional Member

Postby Peter.Steele » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:00 pm

Still haven't had a chance to mess with it further. My new 500GB SATA drive should be here tomorrow though, so I'm probably just going to go ahead and do a fresh install of Vista on that (with the PATA drive going away entirely), and hope I don't need to use the XP recovery console for anything, since my wife managed to snap my disk in half yesterday. *damnit* She pulled the disk out of the drive, set it somewhere without thinking about it, and ran the rolly-chair over it.

So, yeah, I might have to make the Vista switch completely, whether or not I want to.
PRO New Member

Previous

Return to Guides