A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

WRT330N router losing connection

WRT330N router losing connection

Postby yeshuas » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:50 am

I am really not sure if it is the router or the modem, but I keep losing my connection to the internet. I can be in the middle surfing, checking email or whatever and especially when computers sit idle. I have tried changing the cables, different ports on the back of the router. I tried rebooting everything, reset the router to factory.

Everything was working fine before we moved.

Could the modem have some issue, or could something have happened to the router, and is there a way to check or test the router or modem?

The modem is supplied by comcast by the way.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby shreader » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:39 pm

I had a similar problem w/ my 4 port Actiontec router (FIOS).

I found that one of the ports that I plugged in-n-out of many times was worn out & the contacts got funky, Verizon replaced the router for me as it was 1.5 years old & they had newer/better offerings then.

BTW one can test this by putting something slightly heavy on the offending wire that goes to the PC as it comes out of the router... worked temporally for me anyway :lol:
Software Director

Postby imnuts » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:27 pm

I had issues with my WRT300N router and the problem was that it was overheating. I moved it so that it could get better air circulation around it and the problem went away. I'm not sure what type of modem you have with Comcast, but mine has various lights on it to indicate when things are connected and working properly. When you have the problem, just check the modem to see if any of the status lights have gone out. You could also try opening up the router configuration page when the problem occurs. If you can't get to it, then it's somewhere local and not the modem.
PRO SUPREME

Postby yeshuas » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:52 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions,

I had already taken a can of air and blew on the Routers vent holes top and bottom and it seems to have helped. The ambient temp is right around 68, that is why I didn't figure heat was an issue straight away, but our previous house was always dusty, and the router is the one thing that I didn't ever take apart and clean periotically like I did my computers.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Return to Hardware and Customizing