A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

RealNetworks to Introduce a DVD Copier

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:06 am

By BRAD STONE
Published: September 8, 2008

People have been avidly feeding music CDs into their computers for years, ripping digital copies of albums and transferring the files to their other computers and mobile devices.

This has not happened nearly as much with DVDs, for both practical and legal reasons. But that may soon change.

On Monday, RealNetworks, the digital media company in Seattle, will introduce RealDVD, a $30 software program for Windows computers that allows users to easily make a digital copy of an entire DVD
PROfessional Member

Postby mnemonicj » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:59 am

#1, I will not install anything made by Real Networks after Real Networks proved they don't care about their customers by putting adware and spyware in their Real Player installations. I don't care if they learned their lesson or not, they shouldn't have done it in the first place.

#2, I am not content to pay more for software that lets me rip DVDs to my computer and laces them with DRM. If I already paid for the d*mn DVD, I should be able to watch the movie in any format I want as long as I am not sharing the digital copy or making money off of the copy.

#3, I will not pay for DRM, ever. I refuse to by music with it and I will refuse to buy video with it. If everyone keeps the same stance, the movie studios will have to back down, just like the record labels did. We are the consumer with the money, if they want our money, they will need to follow our rules.

DRM is like telling the customer they are wrong and cannot be trusted before they are even a customer. Well, I'm the customer and, I know it sounds clich
PRO Level 15

Postby JabbaPapa » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:50 pm

mnemonicj wrote:#1, I will not install anything made by Real Networks after Real Networks proved they don't care about their customers by putting adware and spyware in their Real Player installations. I don't care if they learned their lesson or not, they shouldn't have done it in the first place.

To be fair, the *real* issue with RealPlayer was that a) the old version could break or nerf your Windows (although I personally was one of the lucky ones), and they did NOTHING to fix the issue b) for some uber-strange reason, very many online media sites often insisted that you use it anyway.

But the current version is non-broken.

The adware/spyware thingy was more in the line of adding insult to injury ;)
PRO VETERAN

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:39 pm

RealPlayer is one of the most feature rich and versatile media players out there in my opinion. Many sites including some online TV and news broadcasters only enable video using RealPlayer.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby mnemonicj » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:27 pm

Grav!ty wrote:RealPlayer is one of the most feature rich and versatile media players out there in my opinion. Many sites including some online TV and news broadcasters only enable video using RealPlayer.

I use Winamp. It even lets me sync my iPod without having to use iTunes. As for video playback, I have been able to get by for the past 5 years without needing to use Real Player, and I like it that way.
PRO Level 15

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:04 pm

mnemonicj wrote:
Grav!ty wrote:RealPlayer is one of the most feature rich and versatile media players out there in my opinion. Many sites including some online TV and news broadcasters only enable video using RealPlayer.

I use Winamp. It even lets me sync my iPod without having to use iTunes. As for video playback, I have been able to get by for the past 5 years without needing to use Real Player, and I like it that way.

Yeah it's kinda a personal preference thing hey, like what toothpaste you use.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby mnemonicj » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:13 pm

Grav!ty wrote:Yeah it's kinda a personal preference thing hey, like what toothpaste you use.

I like the toothpaste that washes my clothes and does my dishes without leaving any residue in the sink. :lol:
PRO Level 15

Return to General Tech Chat