A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

"IE8 running with add-ons disabled" message bar [FIXED]

Disabled Add-ons with the installation of IE8 Beta 2

Postby Eracca » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:25 pm

When I first installed IE8 Beta 2, I kept getting the Disabled Add-ons message bar. I did the same and tried to enable the add-ons but nothing was disabled. I then remembered that during the installation, Windows Defender prompted an installation warning. I enabled it. I figured that somehow Windows Defender interrupted the normal installation process of IE8. I turned off Windows Defender completely, and when IE8 Beta 2 was re-installed, the message bar was no longer an issue.

I suppose we have to follow the general rule that when installing a new program, ALL programs should be terminated. This includes Spyware, Anti-virus, and anything else that may be running in the background.

I hope this helps.
PRO New Member

Postby phileysmiley » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:50 pm

I fixed it, and you'll never believe how simple it was. I launched IE, and (for the first time, mind you) I got a dialog box saying "Google Toolbar is not compatible with IE8 and must be disabled, or check the site for an updated version" (or words to that effect).

There was a button which said "check for updates." I clicked it. It took me to the IE8 Beta 2 Release Notes. Under "Compatibility with third-party applications," it says:

Google Toolbar
Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 displays a compatibility warning when certain versions of the Google Toolbar add-in are installed. This issue occurs because Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 and specific versions of this add-in are incompatible, and the installation is unstable. When you disable this add-in, the functionality that this product provides is removed.

For more information and for updates, visit the following Google Toolbar Web site:
http://toolbar.google.com/tbredir?r=ie8_upgrade

I clicked the link and it took me to the Google Toolbar 5 Beta page. I installed it and...VOILA!...I have the Google Toolbar AND the message bar is gone.

What DID happen:

1) Google Toolbar (less than 5 Beta) is not compatible with IE8 Beta 2.

2) If you have Google Toolbar and install IE8 Beta 2 you will get a message bar stating that "add-ons have been disabled." BUT it will not tell you WHICH ones have been disabled -- One? All? A dozen? AND the Manage add-ons center will NOT show the Google Toolbar disabled. It will show that it is ENABLED.

3) Only after having started IE several times did I get the dialog stating that Google Toolbar was the culprit.

4) I installed Google Toolbar 5 Beta and it IS compatible and the message bar is now gone.

===========

What SHOULD happen:

1) The message bar, which triggers the Manage add-ons box, should state which add-ons have been disabled due to incompatibility. Instead, it states that ALL ARE ENABLED.

AND/OR

2) Launching IE should immediately trigger the incompatibility warning the first time, not after several launches of IE.

If either of the above had taken place I would have immediately gone to upgrade the Google Toolbar.
Media Director

Disabled Add-ons message with IE8 Beta 2

Postby Eracca » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:34 am

Another solution is to simply RESET Internet Explorer.

This is done by selecting the Tools menu, click on Internet Options, click the Advanced tab, and then click the Reset button at the bottom right.
PRO New Member

Postby shreader » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:39 pm

Congrats on figuring it out & fixing it Larry ^*^
Software Director

Postby phileysmiley » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:17 pm

Eracca wrote:Another solution is to simply RESET Internet Explorer.

This is done by selecting the Tools menu, click on Internet Options, click the Advanced tab, and then click the Reset button at the bottom right.

Thanks for the suggestions, Eracca, it is much appreciated. I fixed it before I saw your posts so all is well. I'm not sure if the Windows Defender idea would have helped me in this case. It doesn't appear to have had anything to do with that although closing programs is always a good idea.

I am curious about the Reset idea, though. I'm not sure if this would have been the way to go had I known anyway. I may never have updated my Google Toolbar and might have ended up living without it, which would have been difficult since I really do depend on it in many ways.

shreader wrote:Congrats on figuring it out & fixing it Larry ^*^

Thanks JD! MS does have it in the Release Notes but the alerts and messages are misleading, not timely, or simply incorrect. I hope they fix this in future releases.
Media Director

Postby denver packer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:56 pm

I just installed ie8 beta and am having having the same problem. The add-ons section in tool box lists them as enabled but the warning bar toward top says add-ons are currently disabled. And they are in fact disabled.

Also there are several sites that I can no longer get to and I cannot download anything. The download status shows the file being sownloaded but at the end it closed and I get no option to run or save the file.

Does anyone have a resolution to this?
PRO New Member

OFFICIAL FIX

Postby FiatLux » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:09 pm

I have the same problem as you, found these instructions on the startup page that pops up when you install IE 8 lol (after first googling and sifting through your post, the fix is on the homepage i was too lazy to read... haha)

Problems when upgrading to Internet Explorer 8 from Internet Explorer 7
If you receive a message that all add-ons are disabled every time you start Internet Explorer, follow these steps to help resolve the problem:

1. In Internet Explorer, click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
2. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset. Follow any on-screen directions.
3. Close and re-open Internet Explorer.

If Internet Explorer 8 flashes and closes immediately when you try to start it, there may be some settings in Internet Explorer 7 that were not working correctly. To resolve the problem, follow these steps:

1. Uninstall Internet Explorer 8 (see instructions elsewhere in this document).
2. Restart your computer, and then open Internet Explorer 7.
3. In Internet Explorer, click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset. Follow any on-screen directions.
5. Close Internet Explorer 7.
6. Reinstall Internet Explorer 8.
PRO New Member

Re: "IE8 running with add-ons disabled" message bar [FIXED]

Postby FiatLux » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:15 pm

By the way, the first 3 steps fixed the problem for me.
Hope this works for everyone else just as easily :)
PRO New Member

Re: "IE8 running with add-ons disabled" message bar [FIXED]

Postby jminor21 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:01 pm

Open Internet Explorer from you start menu. Right click and select Browse the Internet. This should work.
PRO New Member

Previous

Return to Alpha / Beta Software