A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Best PDA/Cell Phone?

Postby NT50 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:57 am

As I stated, I chose the Motorola and woudl choose it again even though it has a bigger hadset than the 8310.

It is Windows and it does everythign I want. And I looked and it has exchange server setting also.

I have had several different name brand phones and I always go back to the Motorola..... always.

And I am with Verizon wireless and my internet is fast fast fast. ATT is know to have a slowwwwwwwwwww internet.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby kanaloa » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:55 am

Verizon would be my first choice too, but I don't think they carry that phone. I'll check again to make sure.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby imnuts » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:10 am

Everything about ATT's network is slow, even their 3G network (where you actually get it) always seemed slow for me. I'm pretty sure I got faster connections on the GSM network before than their 3G network. Verizon's network, even the non-3G network, is really fast. They also have better customer service and their phones tend to be less buggy, though you'll likely have less up-to-date models or less updated software on them. I like the HTC phones, I have the XV6700 and my girlfriend has the XV6800, both of which are really nice. Even though Verizon doesn't carry the specific model you want, I'm sure that they have something at least somewhat close. I personally would shy away from Blackberry just because email and everything else that syncs with it over the air all runs through RIMM's servers, and with the popularity, they are only going to become more and more stressed out. Windows Mobile should provide more stable and reliable connections for you.
PRO SUPREME

Postby kanaloa » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:17 am

I figure AT&T surely has to get their stuff together at some point though. Especially since the "take over" and with a 3G iPhone on their network, that's gotta be some added pressure.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby NT50 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:43 pm

Verizon carries the Q9C now.
PROfessional Member

Postby yeshuas » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:02 pm

Whichever carrier you go with, the reception you get where you live is going to be different than someone who lives away from a major metropolitan area. i.e. I lived near St Louis 45 miles N.W of the main downtown area, in a small town, we got reception, but it wasn't as good out where I lived as when we got closer to St Louis. Now we live about 45 miles N.W. Chicago main downtown area, but it is a suburb and built up there are more towers here than in Troy, Mo, so it really wouldn't be a fair comparison.
You need input from people with different carriers where you live, to get a realistic picture.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby imnuts » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:58 pm

I think that the Blackberry 8330 from Verizon is similar, or the same (only CDMA), to the one that you picked out from ATT. As far as the networks go, ATT will have better coverage worldwide as they use GSM systems, which is basically everywhere. You could also just get a new SIM card and put it in your phone if you travel abroad and use your phone internationally without international charges for most of the cell phones, not sure about PDAs and such though. I don't think the iPhone will do anything as it's all marketing hype, and other carriers are bringing out similar phones just to get in on some of the hype. I feel like the reaction from Europeans really explains the phone as they didn't really care to much about it. I don't think ATT will really do much either and I doubt that the new iPhone will be that much better as I don't think that the 3G network for ATT is all that great, where Verizon's 3G network is a lot faster from my experiences, even when one does have poor signal quality.
PRO SUPREME

Postby kanaloa » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:41 am

Just a update. I went with the Motorola Q Global Smartphone; got it today.

So far I'm loving it. They put "Good Messaging" on my phone, but I took it back off since I can connect directly with our Exchange server. Got my IMAP to my email too (real easy since we use Google Apps for your domain now).

I'll probably get a screen protection film or something. Especially since I'll carry it around in my pocket. But it looks like a really nice little device. Looking forward to playing with it more. I love having my email with me on the go, that's my favorite thing so far.
President

Postby NT50 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:57 am

I love mine and YES my screen is scratched up big time. I carry mine in my pocket also, I hate the carring cases they have.
I get all my business emails on it and love it. I do not have exchange though so I can not tell you about it.

Pretty cool phone, just be patient when typing in text or numbers when it is trying to check you email.
PROfessional Member

Postby kanaloa » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:10 am

Exchange is fast on the phone. I have NO idea why, but I get my email on my Mobile before my PC at work. A coworker told me the same thing happens on his device. Very weird, but it's cool in a way too bc I know an email is coming now, LOL.

I thought the tiny keypad would really irritate me, but so far I am having no trouble with it. In a few weeks I should be getting pretty quick at it.

Only real complaint (and I knew going in) is that I would have loved to have a phone that displayed web pages as you see them via a PC. It can do that, but you have to scroll a lot. I think the iPhone is one of the only phones I've heard of that does that by default (and even that may not be entirely true). The 3G network with AT&T, at least here, seems pretty fast. Given I've nothing to really compare it too though, I'm sure anything would seem fast compared to my old iPAQ with it's 14.4 connection. Dang that was slow.
President

Previous

Return to General Tech Chat