A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Various XP issues. Help!

Postby Ricky » Wed Feb 06, 2002 11:59 pm

Whoever can help me fix these will be crowned the coolest person ever! I have a Dell 1.4 gig, 256kRDRAM, 40gig HD machine. I was running Win ME. I received the upgrade CD from Dell and promptly upgraded to XP. The upgrade went flawlessly. But now I'm having these problems: 1. When browsing using IE6, I can load most web pages as normal, but I come across some web pages that simply will not load. At the bottom of my screen it says "Loading page....." as if it's doing something and the status bar is half full, but the page will not load. Maybe 65% of the sites I go to will load and the rest won't. Can't understand it. mbusa will load, but bmwusa will not. msn.com will load but iwon.com will not. My own web site won't load, platinum-graphics.com. The fact that the mbusa site will load tells me that it's not a problem with flash or some other web graphic. I can't figure it out. 2. When I go to Microsoft to do the windows update through control panel, I'll see that my machine needs several updates. But after I download them (hours at 56k), the self install fails. Over and over again I've tried only to get the same message "Update failed." Can anyone help me? It would be greatly appreciated --------- I've tried the first two suggestions to no avail. My question becomes, if I uninstall XP will my previous version of ME still be there? (Sorry if that's a stupid question) If not, what's the best way of re-installing ME? This all really sucks because I kinda liked XP.... <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RodneyDT on 2002-02-07 05:28 ]</font>
PRO New Member

Postby 1jrdu » Thu Feb 07, 2002 12:24 am

For your IE6 problem I can help. Go to control panel and double-click on add/remove programs.On the left hand side there is an add/remove windows components. Click that. Uncheck internet explorer. close out. then do it all over again except make sure you checked internet explorer.this is that you are reinstalling IE6.
PRO New Member

Postby oldmanlinc » Thu Feb 07, 2002 12:38 pm

256k RDRAM eh? Not quite to a megabyte yet ;pp heh Anyhow, try going to ms's site, and d/ling the updates on your own, w/o the auto install. bahb ahbahba bahbhdgkajvhkhsfkjgha thingie! Ciao -Adam
PRO Level 3

Postby bike4ever » Fri Feb 08, 2002 6:11 am

Welp, can't really help BUT if you uninstall XP the answere is NO ME will NOT still be there... As far as your update failure, try turning off Windows File Protection for the duration of the update. Norton AV wouldn't install till I did that. Worst case I would make a second partition, copy all inportant stuff like game saves a all that, then WIPE and do a fresh install. BTW...The WFP feature can be shut off via TweakXP. Don't really know where it is in the control panels, sorry.
PRO Level 2

Return to General Windows Support