A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Where did the old old "prebuilt" threads go? (building a new one)

Postby NT50 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:45 am

freeagent wrote: Im just your average enthusiast, who thinks stock speeds are a severe hinderance to high performance ^*^

:whistle

LOLOLOL, good one.. I can remeber taking that 350 MHz and getting about 410 MHz out of it and taking a Banshie 16 meg AGP V card and OCing it and getting 680 fps out of Motocross Madness offline and 480 online. I had extra fans in the case and it would shutdown after about 6 hours.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:02 am

NT50 wrote: extra fans in the case

Extra fans? :lol:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:07 am

Yea baby
Now that is moving some air.............
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby trubbleshute » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:05 pm

Wow, that'd be quite the brickhouse case!!! I spent the last week or two feverishly reading internet blogs and forums, I hope that I have the right items specced out! On a side note, after hours of reading pronetworks, newegg, and eggxpert, I finally got a build together and I was wondering if I could have some input please :)

The computer will primarily be used for games, below is a link to the newegg list (wishlist feature is pretty cool!)

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=11810947

I specified a Q9450, but for games would I be better off with an E8500 or E8400?I am planning on reusing my old 8800GTS (purchased Oct '07), a plain dvd/cd burner, and a 150GB raptor hard drive. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated :)
When all the knives seem to lacerate your brain
I've had my share, so I'll help you with the pain.
PRO Level 2

Postby ar1stotle » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:12 pm

I'd go with the E8400 for gaming. No games will make use of a quad yet, and the higher clock speeds (and overclockability) of the E8400 will allow it to process more frames. I would, however, upgrade to 4gb of RAM, possibly even DDR2 1066. That'll make the rig snappier as well.

Edit: OK, I see you already had 2 2gb kits of RAM... I'd go with 1 4gb kit (2x2gb) because the max on those motherboards is usually 8gb. If you want to upgrade in the future, it's easier just to get a 4gb kit right now. Then you won't have to replace all your ram later (and only having 2 sticks will make it run a little cooler for the time being). Here's a kit I've gotten before. G.Skill makes great stuff ^*^
PRO BRONZE

Postby trubbleshute » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:57 pm

Thank you :)

I updated the New Egg List!
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=11810947

I looked over it all, and I don't see any compatibility issues; do you see any? Thanks for all of your time and help!

EDIT: I didn't include a video card or hdd because I am planning to buy a new video card in a couple of months, I will be using an 8800GTS 640mb (purchased Oct '07).

Thanks again!!
When all the knives seem to lacerate your brain
I've had my share, so I'll help you with the pain.
PRO Level 2

Postby ar1stotle » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:51 am

As long as you've already got a CD/DVD drive and other small stuff like that (keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc), looks fine to me ^*^ Should perform like a champ.

Just in case you didn't notice, you didn't include an operating system earlier. And if you have nice speakers, you might want a dedicated sound card but that can certainly be added later.
PRO BRONZE

Previous

Return to Hardware and Customizing