A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Evaluate Windows Essential Business Server 2008 Public Preview today

Postby shreader » Wed May 14, 2008 2:46 am

Published: May 13, 2008

Windows Essential Business Sever 2008 is an integrated and affordable solution that offers the Microsoft software midsize businesses require - preconfigured, integrated and manageable from a single administrative console, and at a significant discount compared to standalone products. And when you download the latest public preview, you're automatically registered to access valuable public preview resources assembled in one convenient location.

Please review the Windows Essential Business Server 2008 Public Preview system requirements before you proceed. Actual requirements and product functionality may vary based on your system configuration.

You will also need the product keys to activate the Windows Essential Business Server 2008 Public Preview software which will be made available to you on the download page. The Public Preview software is being made available so you may test and explore the software. As this is not final release code, you may not test the software in a live operating environment.

Download the evaluation
Begin your evaluation of Windows Essential Business Server 2008 Public Preview.

The Windows Essential Business Server 2008 Public Preview software is available in the following language:

English

:moreat: Microsoft TechNet
Software Director

Postby shreader » Wed May 14, 2008 3:03 am

A little more:

Public Preview Software
Software Director

Postby shreader » Sun May 18, 2008 9:38 pm

I hadn
Software Director

Postby yeshuas » Mon May 19, 2008 12:33 pm

That would be quite an undertaking hardware wise by one person. I probably could come up with the minimum number of harddrives, CPU's, motherboards, graphics cards, and cases, but the memory, I may be lacking a few sticks of ram.
Too bad there isn't a way for 3 people to build one system each and connect them over the internet.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby shreader » Tue May 20, 2008 2:08 am

yeshuas wrote:<snip>
but the memory, I may be lacking a few sticks of ram.
Too bad there isn't a way for 3 people to build one system each and connect them over the internet.

It does need a lot of Ram alright :yesnod:

Server Hardware Requirements
Server Hardware
The servers that are running Windows Essential Business Server must meet the following minimum hardware requirements:

Hardware Minimum Requirement
Physical servers: Three

Processor: 64-bit (x64)

System memory: 4 gigabytes (GB) (Management Server and Messaging Server)
2 GB (Security Server)

Storage capacity:
Server | Partition Minimum Partition Size (GB)
Management Server | system volume 50

Management Server | data volume 30

Security Server | system volume 50

Security Server | data volume 10

Messaging Server | system volume 50

Messaging Server | data volume 20

*this is interesting too

Creating a Virtualized Instance of Windows Essential Business Server
To create a virtualized instance of Windows Essential Business Server on your physical server, complete the following steps:

Install Hyper-V RC0 in Windows Server 2008

Enable the Hyper-V role in Windows Server 2008

Create the virtual machines for Windows Essential Business Server

Configure the virtual machines for Windows Essential Business Server

Install Windows Essential Business Server on the virtual machines

*(more details @ the links)
Software Director

Postby yeshuas » Tue May 20, 2008 2:29 am

I could reconfigure my P5W DH deluxe it would certainly hold enough ram and HDD to be the Management or messaging server. Right now it has as you can see by my signature a Q6600; 4 GB Ram, 4 HDD, (I think it will hold at least 8 SATA HDD's) Then I have another system with the E6600 CPU and 2 HDD's with 2 GB ram. I could use another system I have with a Pentium D 930 CPU and 2 GB ram with 2 HDD's
Last edited by yeshuas on Sat May 24, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby Grav!ty » Tue May 20, 2008 2:43 am

Some server systems are just amazing in terms of their RAM configurations. Here's a fairly typical one:

Memory capacity: Sixteen Fully Buffered DIMM (FBDIMM) sockets for up to 64GB of registered ECC DDR2 667MHz memory

Some servers can also have their RAM configured in various RAID configurations so data is held in RAM and directly accessed from there instead of from hard drives. It's quite incredible for us who are used to using desktops. I know zip about all this but I like to gawk :lol:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby yeshuas » Tue May 20, 2008 1:56 pm

I would like to try and build it just for my own satisfaction of seeing if I could do it
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby Absolute-Zero » Tue May 20, 2008 2:15 pm

Sounds like this is a step up from Small Business Server. Instead of having everything packaged into one machine, you delegate different tasks to various servers. Much better in terms of security and system redundancy. Losing one box doesn't instantly mean you lose everything.

Management server would be the Domain Controller, I'm guessing, messaging server would take the place if the cut down version of Exchange server that you get in SBS. Security Server? Not sure, probably incorporates some features offered by the ForeFront range of security products, maybe even has preconfigured policies for Network Access Protection.

I'd like to have a look at this but I don't have the spares resources. I could stick it on our VMServer here at work, I guess.
PROfessional Member

Postby shreader » Sat May 24, 2008 2:19 pm

Last night I tried installing this again :lol:

Picked up another SATA Hdd (160GB) to test on.

First installed Server 2008 x64 & Dl & installed the Hyper-V RC that is (publicly) available to test.
Found that the Intel CPU in my Test Rig doesn't have hardware-assisted vitalization (Core 2 Duo E4500), so the Hyper-V roll wouldn't install.

Formatted Server 2008 away & just tried installing the EBS 2008, Management Server (MS), that worked until I reached the desktop & it couldn't find the Network Adapter.. again, I showed it several times where the .inf was & it looked like it was installing but the :-x MS never got that memo, so that failed & ended my attempts of installing this one.

I think I'll just wait for the new SBS 2008 RC that is suppose to go public next week (I read somewhere) & test that one instead.
Software Director

Next

Return to Alpha / Beta Software