A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

gaming laptops...

gaming laptops...

Postby EXTREMEoverclocker » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:21 am

anyone have a good gaming laptop or had experience with one?

i know there are a few out there ... i dont really need to run a super graphical demanding game like cod4 ... but it needs to be a decent card ...

i know there is dells XPS and alienware and acer and hyperpc and ibuypower and all those ...

but what do yall think is the best ... i have read a lot of reviews and stuff but they just go round and round and cant ever have the majority select one

.....How can i soar with eagles when im surrounded by turkeys.....
PRO Level 13

Postby imnuts » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:19 am

My opinion is that laptops aren't really for gaming. If you wanted to have a system to be portable for gaming, I'd look into getting a shuttle pc. It will likely cost less than a high performance laptop, have fewer cooling issues, and likely be more powerful. You can put basically all desktop components in it, so it would also be upgradeable when new hardware comes out. If you really had to have a laptop though, I'd stay away from Dell and Alienware (same company ;)) as they have a lot of laptop issues in my experience.
PRO SUPREME

Postby ar1stotle » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:20 am

My friend got one from PowerNotebooks. His particular one was a PowerPro and it has worked like a charm, though I've read good things about the other laptops there as well. They've got really good service... they even called him afterwards to confirm the order. I'll probably be getting a laptop from them over the summer ^*^
PRO BRONZE

Postby EXTREMEoverclocker » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:44 am

well i have a gamin computer so i really dont want another one :) ....

just some small and portable like a laptop when i go visit my parents and stuff or sittin a boring class :)

ill just be playin city of villains on it ... so its no call of duty 4 :) ... i play that on my pc

.....How can i soar with eagles when im surrounded by turkeys.....
PRO Level 13

Postby ready2rumbelX » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:21 am

They're plenty of rigs that are available; ranging for casual gamers up to hardcore gamers. The best laptop i'm aware of is a Dell XPS with an Intel Quad Core setup, 4GB RAM and an 8800 M GTX SLi....that's a badass laptop.

I've been on desktop for a long time cause I figured that laptops don't perform as well...was I sadly mistaken. :)

r2rX :)
PRO Level 2

Postby imnuts » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:35 pm

ready2rumbelX wrote:They're plenty of rigs that are available; ranging for casual gamers up to hardcore gamers. The best laptop i'm aware of is a Dell XPS with an Intel Quad Core setup, 4GB RAM and an 8800 M GTX SLi....that's a badass laptop.

I've been on desktop for a long time cause I figured that laptops don't perform as well...was I sadly mistaken. :)

r2rX :)

sounds like 1hr of battery life to me...

Take a quad core desktop with 4GB of ram and 8800GTXs in SLI on a desktop and I bet you'd get better performance though
PRO SUPREME

Postby nightfire » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:01 am

Personally, i would never buy a laptop, but for quality in company, i would suggest cyberpower pc.

They are smaller and really pay attention to detail, not just to profit margins. I bought a base system from them and have had excellent communication. i wanted to change the order, so i called my own personal support agent who even knew my name and my order.

Sorry if it sounds like im advertising, but i just love supporting a good small company.

And i hate dell :-x :-x :-x
(Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Mobo)(AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+)(3.5 GB high speed ram?)(EVGA Geforce 8800GTS)(500 GB and 1 TB Sata Drives)super high speed, 3COM 56k Modem!!
PRO Level 7

Postby Computerwiz2489 » Tue May 06, 2008 9:14 pm

Well my laptop is old (Pent-M 1.6, MRX600) and it runs CoD4 fairly well. I will tell you though the heat coming from the laptop is getting quite annoying for me and I would not recommend gaming laptops at all. The heat that they produce might drive you crazy.
PRO Level 15

Return to General Tech Chat