A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Remove VBP 3.3

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Remove VBP 3.3

Postby Cr00zng » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:16 pm

I've installed VBP 3.3.0.0 on my system that dual boots XP 32-bit and Vista Business 64-bit; XP was installed first. Other than the "standard" error of:

"VistaBootPRO has detected that Vista is either not installed or is installed on a hidden drive..."

the program works well and the error is due to my machine. The Windows OS's are installed on Disk 2 (SATA drive) where the first partition is taken by XP; it is the active partition even if it shows up in Vista as "D" drive.

I am planning to remove VBP from my system without removing either of the operating systems. I am pretty sure that the uninstallation routine of VBP will not render my system unbootable since it is just an editor and not the actual boot loader. My posting is just "sanity check" before the program is removed and needs some confirmation. :confused
Will removing VBP have any effect to booting XP or Vista?
TIA...

Cr00zng
PRO New Member

Postby augie » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:41 pm

Welcome aboard Cr00zng, there will be no problems at all by removing VBP as it is not a bootloader but a GUI way to edit the BCD store, makes it a much easier task. Oops, I just paraphrased you. :lol:
Last edited by augie on Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:42 pm

Hi Cr00zng. Your thinking is totally correct. Removing VBP won't have any effect on the BCD and you can reinstall it as and when you have the need for it.

It may be a good idea to backup your BCD (Boot Configuration Data store) using the Backup/Restore page before you do though as that can come in handy if you need to reinstall XP or Vista.

It's also not a bad idea to keep copies of the boot system files for both operating systems somewhere you can access them if you need to. These are the folder Boot and file bootmgr for Vista and the files boot.ini, ntldr and NTDETECT.COM for XP :yesnod:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Cr00zng » Thu May 01, 2008 8:04 pm

Thanks guys, it doesn't hurt to check...

You can actually make a Vista boot floppy by formatting the floppy under Vista, just don't make it DOS bootable disk. Copy the "bootmgr", "boot.ini", and "ntldr" to the root of the floppy; create a folder named "Boot" and copy the file named "BCD" into this folder. If you want to be fancy, you could copy the "memtest.exe" and the "bootstat.dat" files also. You'll need to access the boot files from XP, Vista won't let you copy them if you're running vista.

And of course, you could make an XP only bootable floppy that's no brainer within XP.

Cr00zng
PRO New Member

Return to PRO Software