A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Sony BMG Sued for Software Piracy

Sony BMG Sued for Software Piracy

Postby augie » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:48 am

Sony BMG, a company known for enforcing its intellectual property rights, is now facing the other end of an Intellectual Property related lawsuit. A report (French) says the complaining company, PointDev, seized some of Sonys assets which revealed that the pirated software appeared on four of their servers.

PointDev, a small software company, mandated a bailiff to raid one of Sony BMGs owned building in January this year. The raid revealed that four of the Sony BMGs owned servers contained the pirated software.

It appears as though the company discovered this when an IT department employee requested assistance for the use of a product called Ideal Migration. When technical support looked into the case, they discovered that the key used to activate the software was a pirated version.

The report continues (Google Translation):

"We are not interested in an amicable settlement. It is not just a question of money but more importantly in principle, storm Agustoni Paul-Henry, CEO of PointDev. The rate of software piracy in the company is very high. "According to the Business Software Alliance, a association of the major publishers in the market, 47% of programs used in the company would be unlawfully in France ...

"We are forced to watch every week if key software pirates are not on the Internet. We are a small company of six employees. Instead of trying to protect us, we could spend this time to develop ourselves," complains Paul-Henry Agustoni.

Zeropaid
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby augie » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:49 am

Kinda ironic ain't it?
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby NT50 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:35 am

LOL, yea it is.................
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby ready2rumbelX » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:01 pm

The business world is ironic. It's not surprising to find companies that are eager to join the bandwagon and go against piracy, except for those pirated copies on their machines. :)

r2rX :D
PRO Level 2

Nice

Postby sceaser » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:00 pm

I like the fact that they got caught , Ive read some of there emails to Da Bay ?? hehe and there are some great things about charma here :)
Main Rig Multiscreen^5_KVM+3 and Extra for Laptop, X4 AMD MSI Windows 7
Moblie Hp NX7400 Ubuntu
Mini Hp Ubuntu
Server Custom X6 AMD Linux Server
Server Hp Proliant X4x2 Linux Server
3X Dell Dual Core 3.0GHZ Linux Server
PRO Level 2

Postby Allan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:07 pm

augie wrote:Kinda ironic ain't it?

"It's like ra-a-in, on your wedding day.
A death row pardon, two minutes to late... "

I used to like Sony before ... when they had walkman etc ... (late 90's) but then they got greedier then most other companies... DRM, Exploding Batteries, stupid Lawsuits ... now I dispise them, and refuse to own anything Sonly Branded
Exodus 20:3 "You shall have no other gods before Me."

"those people who claim to be perfect, offend the few of us whom really are!"

PRO Level 10
Location: U(niverse):\Earth\North America \Canada\Ontario\Toronto.city

Return to General Tech Chat