A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows Media Center Beta

Windows Media Center Beta

Postby shreader » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:02 am

I found this beta online today so I wanted to let the PRO membership see that something new is out there.

This one appears as a just released Media Center Beta (4/10/08), it installed on the test rig great & does have a few things I am already liking.

Note: This is a Windows Media Center (WMC) update, so one will need to have a Vista version with WMC already installed on it.

Beta

Vista Latest Prior to installing this one
Software Director

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:20 am

I wonder if that will include a new Windows Media Player?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby shreader » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:37 am

Thank you for asking,
I just took a look @ WMP version in WMP & it matches the one I have that doesn't have this WMC beta installed.

The version # is: 11.0.6001.7000
Software Director

Postby shreader » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:13 am

I just tried playing a DVD Movie in Vista Ult WMC & all I got was a window w/ the 2 folders on the DVD.

Tried again (on the test rig) in Vista Ult w/ the WMC beta installed on it & got a window asking if I wanted to play it in WMP or WMC. I chose WMC & sure enough it played great. MS must of added something to this to make movies play now, or at least the one I tried.

Edit: I tried playing the movie in WMP & it worked there too on the test rig.

Last edited by shreader on Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Software Director

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:30 am

Interesting. I wonder if they've included a DVD playback codec then? It must be unless you have another program installed with a codec. Maybe Nero?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby shreader » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:33 am

No Nero on the test rig on the Vista partitions anyway.

Edit:
Aww, I just tried playing the DVD on another partition that has Vista Ult on it too but its activated & sure enough, it plays there too & gives the choices for WMP & WMC.

So it works w/ & w/o the beta on this rig w/ the same chip set & other drivers installed.

I wonder why it doesn't play on the Main Rig, they all have SP1 installed, just different MB & CPU, etc + the main rig has a ton of other junk on it too...
Software Director

Postby shreader » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:06 am

It sure ain't pretty but here is what I get playing that movie in Vista Ult SP1 on the main rig :shocked:

Software Director

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:33 am

hmmm green screen - usually indicative of some insufficiently powerful or just plain bad hardware.

But as this is the Beta, it may be simply that your GPU is not supported yet ;-)

WMC is THE most graphics-demanding component of Vista.
PRO VETERAN

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:47 am

Hmmm not sure if that green screen is in the Beta version of WMC or in the SP1 release version -- if it's the SP1 release version, you may need a FUTURE drivers update for the GPU.

IIRC WMC didn't start working on my old rig til about 3-4 months after Vista RTM was released ... :roleeyes
PRO VETERAN

Return to Alpha / Beta Software