A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

PCworld? What the hell?

PCworld? What the hell?

Postby TV-VCR » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:37 am

Click the image to go to the article.

Oh btw: Image
Intel D975XBX2, GeForce 8800GTX, 4GB (2 sticks) Memory, Core 2 Duo E6600, 3 SATA HDDs
PRO Level 7

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:48 am

593 No votes now :lol:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby phileysmiley » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:56 am

I only trust Consumer Reports. They don't take money from the people whose products they are reviewing.

I look at this as nothing more than paid advertising.
Media Director

Postby ar1stotle » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:07 am

Well, apparently Norton rebuilt a lot of their code for the 2008 version and it does get much better reviews. But yea, throwing it up at #1 is a little ridiculous.
PRO BRONZE

Postby imnuts » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:11 am

The article is for top all-in-one suites. I'd probably have to agree with them for products that have been out for a while and also based on the other things on the list. Eset just released an AIO security product which I haven't seen any reviews for, but I'm guessing it may be better. You also have to look at the ease of use for the average person, which Symantec has built their programs for and then added all the bloated GUI to go with it, slowing everything down.
PRO SUPREME

Postby JabbaPapa » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:01 am

It's true that the 2008 ones are an improvement over previous releases, but --- number one WTF :rofl:
PRO VETERAN

Postby Nativedude » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:19 am

phileysmiley wrote:I only trust Consumer Reports. They don't take money from the people whose products they are reviewing.

I look at this as nothing more than paid advertising.
Ditto :yesnod:
PRO Level 15

Postby nicksthegreat » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:05 am

Mind you I had the Ravmon virus issue but NOD32 and AVG failed to fix any of the issues.
I had to download specific tools from McCafe,Symantec and Bitdefender to resolve the issue.

I was hoping NOD32 to pick up the virus.

EDIT: But that doesnt mean that Norton should be on the top of the list. :no
Cheers to mah man E-I-R-I-K :notworthy
PRO Level 12

Postby phileysmiley » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:01 pm

The only thing I will grant them is that, for a n00b, an all-in-one, especially if their PC comes with Norton OEM, might make sense. My 78-year-old mother could not have installed several apps without my help.

But when you can get a free AV like Avast or pay a bit for NOD32, a free or cheap good quality firewall, and free or cheap spyware protection, which make a nice suite combined, I think it's worth the little bit of extra effort to install several apps instead of one big one.
Media Director

Postby EXTREMEoverclocker » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:35 am

phileysmiley wrote:The only thing I will grant them is that, for a n00b, an all-in-one, especially if their PC comes with Norton OEM, might make sense. My 78-year-old mother could not have installed several apps without my help.

But when you can get a free AV like Avast or pay a bit for NOD32, a free or cheap good quality firewall, and free or cheap spyware protection, which make a nice suite combined, I think it's worth the little bit of extra effort to install several apps instead of one big one.

well true ... unless ... the multiple apps are resource hogs and slow the computer down more than an all in one would ...

what did you use for your spyware and firewall?

.....How can i soar with eagles when im surrounded by turkeys.....
PRO Level 13

Next

Return to Security & Virus