A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Master pages without ASP

Master pages without ASP

Postby ar1stotle » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:06 pm

Just wondering... when working with ASP.Net, I can use masterpages to set a default layout for all pages and then modify a content section for each page individually, which makes it easy to modify the layout of the site later. With basic HTML and CSS, I'd have to do a lot of re-working each page to do this. Is there any way to do this without having to use ASP.net or some type of CMS? My host doesn't support asp.net, and I'm just wondering if there's another way to do something similar without a CMS because it'd be handy for simpler sites.
PRO BRONZE

Postby imnuts » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:21 pm

does the hosting support any type of scripting (php, asp)? You could also use an HTML template if you have Dreamweaver as it allows you to define things that will be the same on all pages that use the template and then updates everything when the template changes. You could also use iframes in HTML, but pages can get funny when doing that.
PRO SUPREME

Postby ar1stotle » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:26 pm

My host does support PHP. I didn't know Dreamweaver offered that functionality though! I'll have to look into it :yesnod: Is it easy to do in PHP? Only problem there is that I don't know PHP :(
PRO BRONZE

Postby imnuts » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:00 am

with PHP and ASP, it's fairly simple as you only have to make an HTML file with the content that you want constant and put
Code: Select all
include("filename.html");

into each page that would be a php file and have php tags somewhere before and after the above line. ASP is similar, though I don't remember it exactly, but it's about as simple.
PRO SUPREME

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts