A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

HELP!! IDE to SATA hard drive boot issue!

HELP!! IDE to SATA hard drive boot issue!

Postby MrRogers » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:56 pm

Hi all,

Im new to this so please bare with me...

Ok, so here's the situation...

Im curently running Windows Vista..

I have 1 SATA connected hard drive which is running perfectly fine..obviously because this HD is the one which is holding Vista on it..

I have an old IDE hard drive which i am wanting to also run along side the SATA HD..i have already purchased a IDE to SATA conversion kit and i have linked it up but Vista is not recognising my SATA converted IDE hard drive...

I was told u could just plug it all straight in and it would work and my MB would recognise my HD..but yet again nothing seems to be simple "no drivers" i was told lol....

Please help all much will be appreciated

Kind regards

Mr Rogers :)
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:11 am

Have you booted to BIOS to see if your motherboard is even seeing it?
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby ~Robrowe~ » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:36 am

Does your motherboard have a pata connection, try that to see if the drive is good at all first.
Dont really see the point of the IDE to SATA converter. Drive will run at the same speed regardless and it just adds problems to the picture. I have heard a lot of issues with these pieces of hardware.
First thing is they are not recognized in the bios.
PROfessional Member

Postby MrRogers » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 am

Hey thanks for your reply i havent actualy looked to closely at the M.board BUT i have gone into the BIOS and no its not even picking up the converted hard drive...

when i go into the bios its displaying something alogn the lines of

SATA SLOT 1 - (This has the SATA hard drive)
SATA SLOT 2 - (CD/DVD RW DRIVE)
SATA SLOT 3 - (This is greyed out displaying nothing is connected)
SATA SLOT 4 - (This is greyed out displaying nothing is connected)

I have connected it to 3 and 4 and nothing is being picked up..my new PC is very new but are you saying it should have a spare IDE slot?

I will look foward to all your responses

Thank you.
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:31 am

Yeah, some newer motherboards do not have IDE controllers, and most of those that do have a single IDE controller designed for the optical drives.

---

I personally think you'd be better off just forgetting about your IDE drive, or perhaps using it to keep your old mobo running as a backup system. Perhaps even recycle the old mobe for Windows Home Server purposes, if you want to keep the data storage capabilities ?

Or you could buy an external IDE case for the drive, and hook it up via USB (note that you would get I/O speed decrease if you did this) -- I guess it depends what you have on that drive and why you want to keep on using it ;)

We know from experience and reports that mixing 'n' matching IDE and SATA internal hard drives in a Vista system is usually counterproductive in the best of cases, and can lead to blue screen and hard drives damage/corruption/partitioning errors...

One exception to the above : it is OK to run IDE optical drives with SATA hard drives :)
PRO VETERAN

Postby MrRogers » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:57 am

Well it has alot of important documents on it and considering the old PC is very old and VERY slow it would probably take out 3 years to back everything up.

I have looked at a few other cases and posts on the net involving this problem and people have been saying to install SATA drivers or ENABLE the sata drive??

It is a DELL. But does any of the above i.e. installing drivers from DELL enabling the SATA port ring any bells? i just need to get my motherboard recognising this hard drive or the IDE to SATA converter..

Any more light to shed on the subject people??

Thank you all...
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:22 am

If it's just documents and you don't need the drive for running an OS or anything like that, then I guess your best bet would be to get an external empty case for an IDE drive, and just hook it up to the rig via USB.

These are very cheap, and this solution would be risk-free for your current system configuration.

---

Maybe some other people will have better suggestions for you :question
PRO VETERAN

Postby MrRogers » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:29 am

Becuase in theory all i want to be doing is SLAVING my IDE converted hard drive but i know you cant do that with SATA conections can you?

I was told that if i bought this conversion kit it would be a simple fuss free plug and play alternative to slaving it.

All i am wanting to do is just use the IDE converted hard drive to just extract and save documents to it not use the OS on that hard drive.

Any more light? there must be something i couldnt just let this kit go to waste?

Iv herd all i had to do with my IDE hard drive was to set the jumpers to MASTER conect the kit plug the SATA cable in and away i go but this is obviously not going to be the case...

I will look foward to people reply

Kind regards
PRO New Member

Postby Absolute-Zero » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:28 pm

Who's the manufacturer of the IDE to SATA kit, just out of interest? It's possible searching for some specific information about the exact make of kit could turn up some different results?

Windows drivers won't make the slightest bit of difference if the drive isn't being picked up in the BIOS, though.
PROfessional Member

Postby MrRogers » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:39 pm

If i was to go for the option of buying an enclosure for the hard drive and linking it up to my PC via USB i wouldnt have to install it or anything it would just be the same as using a USB stick or somthing "plug and play" my computer will recognise is straight away?

Just to clarify before i purchase one 3.5 Hard drives are the old type (which is most probably what i have) and 2.5 are the thin ones used in laptops?

look foward to hearing your responces

Kind regards
PRO New Member

Next

Return to Hardware and Customizing