A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows Server 2008 RTM as a Desktop OS

Postby srikanthyvr » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:11 am

I am not able to enable or infact i dont have option to enable the DirectDraw, Direct3D and AGP.
It shows as NOT Available.

Please help me in getting Aero theme
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:18 am

srikanthyvr wrote:I am not able to enable or infact i dont have option to enable the DirectDraw, Direct3D and AGP.
It shows as NOT Available.

Please help me in getting Aero theme

Probably because you need drivers for your graphics card?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby srikanthyvr » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:01 pm

Probably because you need drivers for your graphics card?

I am not able ot find teh drivers for my graphic card.
Nvidia GeForce. I tried downlaoding from teh nividia site and the drivers are not available. :no

please help me in getting drivers and the aero theme on my server 2008. thnk s adance
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:02 pm

You'll have to use the Vista drivers for your GPU, from NVIDIA.

Servers usually don't require advanced drivers as they are not intended to run with any decent graphics for the user/admininstrator. Often there's only a tiny monitor for the administrator to use and more often than not servers run headless (without a monitor).

Just for interest sake, each one of the "draws" in this pic of a server farm, is a full standalone server computer and one has to plug a portable monitor and mouse and keyboard in if one wants to "see" it's OS or one can access it from a remote terminal.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby srikanthyvr » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:38 am

Tried installing the drivers and able to install.
However, no option to enable the DirectDraw, Direct3D and AGP.
They shows as NOT Available.
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:54 am

Have you run dxdiag from the run dialog box? Do that and then go to the Display tab and see if they are enabled there.

PROfessional Member

Postby srikanthyvr » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:44 am

finally, i am able to apply aero theme.................. ^*^ ^*^

Thnks for your help...i really appreciate your work and help............Thnks once again :lol:
PRO Level 2

need help !

Postby angelofdeath » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:45 am

guys when i try to run windows side bar on windows server 2008 .. it doesn't start and then i t says data execution prevention prevented application from run . and when i try to stop DEP for windows side bar it says .. this application must run under DEP .. an using windows server 2008 rtm datacenter .. please help !
PRO New Member

Postby shreader » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:30 pm

I searched the net for this & all i found was how (they say) DEP should be setup.

I havent confirmed this as I am not having any problems w/ my Sidebar :no

Select the top radio button - Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only.
Software Director

Server as Desktop

Postby Shanedog » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:54 pm

I'm running Server 2008 x64 Datacenter pretty much the same way and I'm somewhat impressed with it over Vista x64... it feels more robust and seems more secure.

Someone needs to figure out a way to install and run sidebar on Server without installing Vista in order to do it. Seems there should be a way to extract it from the archived files on the Vista DVD ala the old days of extracting drivers and needed files from the Win98 CD's cab files.

But things such as that I leave for those with more free time than what I have.
PRO New Member

PreviousNext

Return to Guides