A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

cannot disable driver signature

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:37 am

Even if you F8 in X64 you still have Windows Defender to contend with in both X86 and X64. It prevents unsigned drivers and software from running. Try running a application with unsigned drivers in X86 and you'll get to see what I mean. Go to Tools>Software Explorer in Windows Defender and try to enable any unsigned stuff that is disabled, thanks to the MS Vista eye in the sky looking out for us :-?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby ace-a-rue » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:27 am

so far, i have had no stoppage since permanently disabling vista driver signature using boot pro...a fresh install and then installing boot pro before any updates made it permanent...of course, i hid the four updates to make sure it stayed that way...i made a backup before accomplishing the updates...when SP1 comes along and possibly re-enables the driver signature, i can pull up my restored image (not using windows restore...acronis true image) and return it back to my beginning installation with basic programs installed (no updates).
PRO Level 2

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:52 am

Grav!ty wrote:Even if you F8 in X64 you still have Windows Defender to contend with in both X86 and X64. It prevents unsigned drivers and software from running. Try running a application with unsigned drivers in X86 and you'll get to see what I mean. Go to Tools>Software Explorer in Windows Defender and try to enable any unsigned stuff that is disabled, thanks to the MS Vista eye in the sky looking out for us :-?

Were you in on the Vista SP1 Beta ?

Did you report that as a bug ? (as it obviously is one)

---

If not, then you really should have done -- sometimes, the only way to fix something you dislike in Windows is to report it directly to MS ... :(
PRO VETERAN

Postby ace-a-rue » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:39 pm

no...i was guessing at it since this does seem to be a money maker for microsoft with the digital driver enforcement...i read in some forum that software developers have to pay AT LEAST $400 per year to get an approved digital signature affixed to their program to be used in vista64.

interesting note:..after installing the updates and rebooting last evening...the vista driver enforcement was still disabled...BUT...today, this AM (USA), the driver enforcement is back re-enabled...SO...there are more updates out there that are affecting/manipulating that little goody for microsoft.

i am going to restore my saved image before any updates and then do a controlled update install...doing one at a time and then wait 24 hours to see if any changes occur.

these are the ones i excluded from downloading last night: KB932596, KB938979, KB941649 AND KB943078

based on this experience, i am fairly sure that SP1 will definitely put up a road block from manipulating the driver enforcement issue on a permanent basis.
PRO Level 2

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:27 pm

AFAIK, the story that you have to pay $$$ to MS to get a driver signed is in fact FALSE :roleeyes
PRO VETERAN

Postby ace-a-rue » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:43 am

JabbaPapa wrote:AFAIK, the story that you have to pay $$$ to MS to get a driver signed is in fact FALSE :roleeyes

finally found the quote about the money...this is from the creator of "CORETEMP" program to read off the DTS on the processor...it's a little over a year ago that he made his statement talking about the same thing in this thread.

THE COOLEST wrote:Here's a little background about why it doesn't work by default:
In Vista x64 Microsoft decided that it was time to make developers pay. If your application uses a Kernel mode driver, you must certify it using a special tool. This certification costs you around $400 per year and unless you get your driver certified, Vista x64 will refuse to run it.

http://www.alcpu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:10 am

Yep we need an annual certificate for VistaBootPRO too, but one buys them from one of the certification agencies like Verisign and then submits them to MS as far as I know. I don't think MS is in the business of issueing security certificates (yet) are they?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby ace-a-rue » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:45 am

well, i had to re-call my saved image for vista64 to get back the disabling of vista driver enforcement...my image was made before downloading any updates....when i finally did the updates, i excluded the two that you cite on page 1 of this thread plus two more that i picked up at another site.

since i excluded those by hiding them, there are other updates which are obviously locking out VistaBootPro 3.3 from disabling driver enforcement...i will shuitdown overnight and then start back up to make sure i still have the driver enforcement disabled...i thought it was locked in after downloading the updates...i had to reboot, and when i got back to the desktop it was still disabled...something happened on the subsequent cold power up on the next day (which was today).

what gets me; why doesn't MS do the driver enforcement for vista32 if the so called buzz word for vista64 is safety/security of the kernel?

will let you know tomorrow whether the driver enforcement is still disable...if it is, i will do one update per day to see if it manipulates the kernel to ignore your editing of BCDedit.exe

EDIT:...here is an image of my bcdedit /enum: https://home.comcast.net/~captain-is-re ... cdedit.jpg
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:01 am

ace-a-rue wrote:what gets me; why doesn't MS do the driver enforcement for vista32 if the so called buzz word for vista64 is safety/security of the kernel?

That's a very good point ace-a-rue. In 32-Bit Windows Defender stops applications with unsigned drivers from running. One can disable Windows Defender by opening it and going to Tools>Options then scroll down to turn Windows Defender off. The red security centre warning icon pops into the taskbar though.

I'm running Server 2008 32-Bit as a desktop OS because it can recognize masses of RAM and can be customized to exclude all the Vista bloat and security features. Still not the same as a 64-Bit OS but still, it's a working compromise :)

By the way, thank you for the work you are putting into this and for letting us know what works :yesnod:

PROfessional Member

Postby ace-a-rue » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:10 am

did not know about windows defender in 32 bit vista stopping installs...my wife has vista32 on her machine but i only installed limited software for her to use.

can you tell me a freeware that will be stopped by windows defender in vista32...i will give it a try on her puter to see what action it does to me.
PRO Level 2

PreviousNext

Return to PRO Software