A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

NOD32 AV Version3 - Outlook Express - highlighting mails

NOD32 AV Version3 - Outlook Express - highlighting mails

Postby mooseantlers » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:47 pm

My 1 year subscription was up & upgraded to v3.

I use Outllook Express 6 and have had message rules set up as to highlight incoming mails. All was fine with the previous version, but after upgrading the other day, when one of the mails comes in that should be highlighted, it does, but only for a very brief instant . . you have to be staring at it to even see it . . then it goes to black text.

I e-mailed ESET; no response.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
PRO Level 4

Postby NT50 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:21 am

If you emailed ESET I assure you they will get back to you.

Have you been inot the Advance setting of version 3 yet. You can access the Advance setting via the bottom left corner and then going into the setting/setup tree.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby mnemonicj » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:18 am

I e-mailed them asking if people who purchased 2 or more of the Home licenses could still use the 3.0 version of the LAN Update server that was available for the 2.7 version. I still have yet to receive a response. I contacted an Eset reseller and he confirmed it.

I have also noticed that the 3.0 Home version of the software does not mention being compatible with Windows Server 2003. Has anyone tried to use it on a Windows Server machine? One of the major reasons that I went with Nod32 three years ago was because I didn't have to pay more for a server license for a simple Home server.

I hope they don't go the way of the big guys (Symantec and McAfee) and telling the consumers what they want rather than the other way around. I am sticking with version 2.7 for the moment and hopefully Eset comes to their senses.

EDIT: Directly from the Eset web page:
Server Installation: ESET NOD32 Antivirus Business Edition may be installed on servers as well as workstations (the Home Edition can only be installed on workstations).

Home user license cost per year (with 4-pack of two years): $18.00
Business user license cost per year (with 5-pack of two years): $32.50

Sorry, didn't mean to steal the thread... :whistle Hopefully they respond with an answer to your problem.
PRO Level 15

Postby NT50 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:28 pm

ATM I am still running version 2.7 on my WHS and it runs fine. I did install version 3 enterprise on a server but took it off and went back to version 2.7 due to setup issues. There are a few issues they have to work out before version 3 is fully ready for Enterprise if you were to ask me.
PROfessional Member

Postby mooseantlers » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:02 pm

Sorry this took a couple of days. Thanks to everyone's input.

As of yet, there's been no response from ESET. Have gone through the advanced setting several times & although i'm prone to missing things, I see nothing that might help.

There's 2 things i've noticed; As I first said, when the individual mail is displayed on-screen, for a very brief instant, it shows up highlighted properly; then, just as quickly, it flips to black.

The other item: V3 creates a temporary folder to scan incoming messages & when it's done, it removes itself.

I also thought of setting the highlighting 'rule' to also apply to the temp file (through Outlook Express). Problem is, ya can't tell it to apply a rule to a folder that doesn't exist 'permanently'.

To me, it seems like Outlook Express is trying to follow the rule, but is 'over-ruled' by V3.

Highlighting messages is the only rule I use. Suppose it makes me wonder if other rules are applied & over-ridden. That would be a pain in the ...... 'tater box'.

Thanks!
PRO Level 4

Postby mooseantlers » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:09 pm

A quick status report:

I've since rcvd several e-mails from ESET regarding the problem; one of which included having me send a 'LookInMYPC' system report. I've been told they've acknowledged a problem and are working to correct it.

Curious if anyone else has had the same problem?
PRO Level 4

Postby NT50 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:47 pm

so far i have not
PROfessional Member

Postby mooseantlers » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:56 pm

Another Update

I'm told that ESET is working on this issue.

I'd gone to the FAQ's section first prior to initially sending a mail regarding this 'issue'. I hadn't noticed (until yesterday) that ESET has their own 'forum' specifically for their products. I posted the 'issue' and received a reply from the ESET moderator that there is a known issue with the OE API retaining metadata when copying messages and we are working hard to correct this.' This is a good thing, right? That's until I poked around that forum & it sure appears that this 'issue' has been around since November . . when V3 was released. Seems like the various releases (upgrades) to V3 were 'buggy' from the get go.

What gets me is this; V2.whatever worked. I liked it . . even recommended it! But it's hard to stand up for something that is pretty much a basic part of Windows (although I guess it's called Windows Mail in Vista?). For those of you that have this version, you can select it to 'integrate into Outlook Express/Windows Mail'. Apparently it doesn't. Some folks report success by unchecking the integration, but not that this end.

I'm not a programmer. I do understand the problems that can be created when a 'fix' causes other problems down the line. However it's a bit alarming to find out that this issue has been around for a couple months and still tout that it offers 'seamless integration'. Truthfully, until I stumbled upon that forum, I was confident that maybe I had a bum download & should redo from scratch, or whatever the issue was, that ESET was working on it and would get fixed. Now I wonder. Some lost credibility on a product that was good?!?
PRO Level 4

Another update

Postby mooseantlers » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:11 pm

It's been almost a week since having last contact with ESET. For a short while, I was getting mail from them almost every day. All of the contacts have dealt with me sending a 'LookInMyPC' report and a 'HiJackThis' log along with suggestions to 'experiment' with turning the integration off & on. So far, the issue remains.

I'd almost consider using Outlook instead of Express if I knew it would work. I'll give it a shot and see; it it works, I suppose I could get used to it. Then again, if the issue remains, i'd hate to think about having to switch to a different AV program.

Again, i'm impatient . . i'd rather not switch.

The 'moose'
PRO Level 4

Return to Security & Virus