A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

DNS, nameservers, hooray!

DNS, nameservers, hooray!

Postby Computerwiz2489 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:34 am

Hey guys it's been a long time with the whole inactivity thing and all, things are going great here in college. A bit busy, but certainly manageable.
I was wondering, I'm having a wonderful time with trying to get Yahoo to redirect a domain I own to another webhosting service. My webhost says everything is good to go. I look on WHOIS and it shows my nameservers correctly.
HOWEVER when I type in my domain it leads to a generic geocities webpage ... the domain redirect/mask works fine though, but then again if you're paying money for a domain I don't think it's a very good option to use esp. if it's Yahoo... so what do you guys think?
Also, if a DNS is done correctly and if a tracert is performed, should the target address end up being my webhost and not yahoo? Thanks.
PRO Level 15

Postby Absolute-Zero » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:22 am

Providing everything is set up as it should be, if you ping (or tracert) your site it should return the IP address of the server the site is being hosted on. If it's displaying something different then the DNS settings for the www A record are either incorrect or you are getting a cached lookup from somewhere.
PROfessional Member

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts