A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Item rental gui

Item rental gui

Postby ar1stotle » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:30 am

OK, I just had this crazy idea for school. Basically, for broadcasting, we have lots of expensive equipment that over the years has started disappearing. So, I thought that maybe if I could create some sort of rental interface, it might help. For example, if someone wants to take a camera and 2 batteries to film a football game, they log on quick, check the camera and battery (quantity=2) and then put their initials, just so it's logged in the system. Then have them be able to check the item back in when it is returned (or maybe leave that only for administrators so only I can check an item back in or something). If an item is checked out, it shouldn't be able to be checked out before it is checked back in (basically, it'd need some quantity system so that if quantity=0 no more can be checked out). However, I'm still very new to web development and don't know if this is a doable project or not. If anyone has any insight, I'm all ears :)
PRO BRONZE

Postby xXDIGITALXx » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:40 am

You could do it easily with sql queries. Could create a web based admin, user login, set it up so you get emails when users try to check something out. stuff like that. Granted, I don't know how to code that stuff. But that's the direction I would go. I've had a lot of success with CMS systems (not really what your talking about) But they have gotten me to like the way sql works, so much that I've thought about getting some ebooks or something like that. I do graphics and a little bit of web design but nothing that's needed that kind of information generated. But at my job it got me thinking about that. They have two differant areas where material is kept. No real communication as to inventory from one area to the other. And no real laid out "process" to work. It gets a tag and gets done wherever. Tools scattered everywhere. lol Let me know what works cuz I might try to implement something like that at work lol.
<a href="http://www.humanforsale.com" title="How much am I worth?">I am worth $2,646,164 on HumanForSale.com</a>
PRO Level 14

Postby ar1stotle » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:09 pm

I'll look into this and see if I have the time to get it working lol. While I just built a somewhat similar tool at work (pulls data from the sql database and displays it in a chart) I can't say I followed my co-worker too well and this is a little more advanced. I'll dig a little more though.
PRO BRONZE

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts