A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Fowarding streaming media thru a "middle man" PC

Fowarding streaming media thru a "middle man" PC

Postby LuiePL » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:03 am

OK, here's what I'm trying to do:

Server - Live streaming audio feed
Home - "Middle man" computer
Laptop - What I'm trying to listen on

So, if I can't listen to the live audio directly, but can at home, is there anyway to setup my home/laptop computer to connect so I can? I have tried setting up the Windows Media encoder, and it immediately stops and says there was an error with the audio codec, so that route is out.
-Luie-

Microsoft Certified Professional
PRO Level 3

Postby jaelanicu » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:34 am

Was the error a codec related or network related?

If it was a codec error, then you should try updating your laptop's Windows Media Player to the same or newer version as your home computer.

If it was a network error, the server computer may have blocked incoming connection due to firewall. Try opening the port for your laptop IP address. Other alternative, is to setup a SOCKS proxy server in your home computer and configure your laptop to use that proxy server to connect to the server.
"Righteous is always honorable, but honor is not always righteous." - Me ^_^
PRO Level 5

Postby LuiePL » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:43 am

jaelanicu wrote:Was the error a codec related or network related?

If it was a codec error, then you should try updating your laptop's Windows Media Player to the same or newer version as your home computer.

If it was a network error, the server computer may have blocked incoming connection due to firewall. Try opening the port for your laptop IP address. Other alternative, is to setup a SOCKS proxy server in your home computer and configure your laptop to use that proxy server to connect to the server.

The codec error was in regards to Windows Media Encoder, not the player. I have the latest version of the player, and it works fine.

I don't have access to the firewall and so I can't open the port I need to, and have used a SOCKS proxy in the past, and it will allow web pages to go through, but not streaming media.
-Luie-

Microsoft Certified Professional
PRO Level 3

Postby jaelanicu » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:13 am

...it will allow web pages to go through, but not streaming media.

You can also use a HTTPS proxy server as an alternative to SOCKS proxy in case the port is blocked somewhere in the middle.
The only downside of HTTPS proxy is that you will not be able to use any UDP-based streaming and you will have to stick to the TCP-based streaming.
"Righteous is always honorable, but honor is not always righteous." - Me ^_^
PRO Level 5

Return to General Tech Chat