A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Organizable CD burning program..... please advise......!!

Organizable CD burning program..... please advise......!!

Postby Ultragamer » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:27 pm

I am sick and tired of burning a cd and the contents getting all out of order, because the dumb computer wants to number them 1, 10, 11, etc, instead of 1, 2, 3, -and so on. Or it happens when you burn it anyway. I have burned a couple cds with over 100 songs on them, and I'd kinda like for the stupid songs to be in order on the cd as well. Can ANYONE tell me how to fix this, or tell me of a burning program that burns it how you want it on the cd, or one that you can change the order of the songs the way you want it burnt????

Thanks in advance, this drives me nuts!!
PRO Level 2

Postby jaelanicu » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:50 pm

What do you mean by "out of order" ?
Are the folder/file names got messed up?
An example of what actually goes wrong would be helpful.
Also, what is the burner program you are currently using?
"Righteous is always honorable, but honor is not always righteous." - Me ^_^
PRO Level 5

Postby Ultragamer » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:56 am

Sorry. Like for example, my burn list was this.

1. song title
2. song title,
3. song title and so on, thru say number 25.

It would burn like this: so on the cd, instead of being 1. song title, 2. song title, it would be (on the cd) as 1. song title, 10. song title, 11. song title, 12. song title, etc. and then 2. song title when it came in around 20. song title or so.

I usually use Nero, but I have used windows media player, and a few others that I can't think of right now.

Thanks.
PRO Level 2

Postby swateam48 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:08 am

have you tried adding the tracks one at a time instead of all at once? and maybe you sorted them alphabetically which is why it make everything that starts with 2 before everything that starts by 3, etc?
PRO Level 10

Postby jaelanicu » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:55 am

I think you are talking about "intuitive file sorting" like the one in the TweakUI (for Windows Explorer) where "10." comes after "2." rather than "2." comes after "10.".
But those kind of sorting is only available on Windows Explorer.
Unfortunately, the dumb file sorting is the standard sort method for all operating systems and AFAIK (and I'm quite sure of it), no burner software provide the "intuitive file sorting" like you wanted.

If the burned CD is going to be used with Windows Explorer only, the actual file order in the burned CD won't matter. Just enable the "intuitive file sorting" setting via TweakUI (if you haven't done so) and let Windows Explorer do the sorting.

Otherwise the only solution is a workaround which is to make the file numbers zero-leaded. For example, "1. Song A" becomes "01. Song A" and "2. Song BB" becomes "02. Song BB".
Be sure to use the length of the highest file number for determining the highest number of digits for all of the file numbers. So if the highest file number is 100 (eg. "100. Song ZZZ"), all file numbers should have 3 digits (eg. "001. Song A" or "002. Song BB").
"Righteous is always honorable, but honor is not always righteous." - Me ^_^
PRO Level 5

Return to General Tech Chat