A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

BackEnd news posting limit?

BackEnd news posting limit?

Postby jaelanicu » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:56 pm

Hello,

After being dormant from this site for about 3 years, I finally have plenty of time to return and enjoy reading all of the interesting news I could find.

I also read a lot of news from many websites recently and planning to post many news which haven't been posted here.

Since I'm new to news posting, I have a question for PRO staffs.
Is there a limit on how many news I can post? Assuming that all of them came from different sources. I was affraid to start posting them wildly because I might flood the forum. Although I said many, the number of news posts per day would probably between 0 to 6 postings. It depends on the news' interest factor. In my opinion of course.

...I think that just about it. Thanks in advance.
"Righteous is always honorable, but honor is not always righteous." - Me ^_^
PRO Level 5

Postby kanaloa » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:58 pm

Hi jaelanicu, this is a question for David, our news guy. I think you could post as many as you like in the Backend News area. But I'll let David answer more specifically.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby rippinchikkin » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:24 pm

You can post as many as you like, make sure when picking stories to choose things of interest that ALL our readers will enjoy (try and stay away from EXCESSIVELY technical, and EXCESSIVELY obscure). But knock'em dead. We will use the ones that seem to be a good fit for our members, and discard the rest.
Please read the guidelines, its quite understandable that your stories will require some editing.. but try a match our format as closely as you can.
Let me know if you have any further questions, always glad to be of help ;)
Thanks
A rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class because it was a weapon of math disruption.
VP - Syndication

Postby rippinchikkin » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:38 pm

Hey one more thing.. I just thought of... make sure the stories are not already posted and use only current material. We will only use stories dated with in 2 days of the current date. (really I like them all to be 'BRAND SPANKING' new so make sure you check the dates)
Cheers
A rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class because it was a weapon of math disruption.
VP - Syndication

Postby jaelanicu » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:34 pm

OK, got it.

New questions.

- Some news title are longer than 30 characters and shortening them are sometimes not possible. Is it alright to leave it as they are and let you decide? And if a title can be shortened, does it include the title in the message posting also?

- Some Unicode punctuation marks are converted to HTML elements (eg. ὔ) when previewing the post. How do I avoid this? Or do I have to sustitute them with ANSI characters?

Thanks.
"Righteous is always honorable, but honor is not always righteous." - Me ^_^
PRO Level 5

Postby rippinchikkin » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:10 pm

The title in the 'title bar' at the top is the main one of concern, there we want to keep things under 30 chars, those display in the section and on the front page. The title in the actual post can be as long as you want (I draw the line at a paragraph. LOLOL, kidding by the way, no paragraphs please. ;) )
Please limit titles to 30 or less, change them however you can to retain the meaning. (if you cant leave it and I will make a decision)
The punctuation that gets changed just remove the offender (in most cases its not anything that will change the meaning of the story) We use HTML so you cannot disable the html.
VP - Syndication

Return to Guides