A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows Server 2008 Beta Test

Postby Absolute-Zero » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:08 am

MikeS wrote:SQL Server by default will use all available memory. You must setup the SQL server properties and allocate how much total memory for it to use.

The 100% memory allocation problem isn't occurring when the server is actually running, it only seems to happen when you're in the process of installing applications. Once everything is installed it ticks along quite merrily.

Web Edition is a very cut down version of the Windows Server software, it only allows you to have 2Gb of RAM max, you can't join it to a domain and you can't run SQL Server on it. The SQL Desktop Engines run okay but not the full editions.

Also, you can't upgrade from Web Edition to one of the other, fully featured version of Server as there's no supported upgrade path. Even trying to do it with a 'repair' install using a Server Standard Edition cd failed to upgrade a test version of Server 2003 is was playing with a while back.
PROfessional Member

Postby yeshuas » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:34 pm

I installed the 64 bit version of Server 2008 Enterprise and I am having issues with other computers on the network being able to access drives on the server. I setup a 750 GB drive to share, changed the permissions to all users, allowing anything on the drive to be accessed and changed etc.
When I try to access the drive or a folder on the drive it says "Windows cannot access" the drive/folder or whatever.

When I had the 32 bit version installed I did not have these problems.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Previous

Return to Alpha / Beta Software