A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

System build review

System build review

Postby ar1stotle » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:34 pm

OK, I'm building a computer for a customer that I'm really pumped about. Instead of doing like 5 reviews on different components, I was thinking I'd just do a writeup about the build in general. The parts I'll be commenting on are the following:

Antec P182 Gun Metal Black case
2.4ghz Intel Quad
4gb Patriot DDR800
Samsung 226BW 22" Widescreen LCD
EVGA 8800GTS 320mb
PRO BRONZE

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:18 pm

That's a very nice system ar1stotle and I look forward to you impressions of it :yesnod:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby ar1stotle » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:56 pm

Me too. The rest of the parts should get here Thursday. It's not mine, so I can't keep it forever, but I'll try to write as much about it as I can in the time that I do have it (maybe some benchmarks too).

I got the case, APC, and monitor today though. The monitor is still in the box, but the case is sexay (wish the front panel folded flush though... I was under the impression that it did but apparently not) and the 450w APC backup weighs like 30lbs (well, so does the case).
PRO BRONZE

Postby HachemK » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:13 am

Wow thats Excellent i rate it 10/10!!!

love the parts!
Regards,
Karim
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
PRO Level 5

Postby ar1stotle » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:50 am

Heh, thanks! But I forgot to mention two other crucial build parts: MSI P6N SLI Platinum mobo and (bum bum bummmmm) Windows Vista Home Premium: Sixty-freakin-four edition :P I'm interested to see if it's finally a good home desktop solution. Hopefully SP1 will be officially released soon so I can get that set up as well!

I suppose I'll have to set up this Logitech webcam as well. I'll comment on the quality of that, as well as the wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

Dang, this is going to be a fun build!
PRO BRONZE

Postby ar1stotle » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:05 pm

Well, I've finally got this thing all put together. It's quite amazing! The P182 case is just beautiful, and while not 100% silent it's remarkably quiet. It seems like most of the sound is pushed out the back, but when you're in front of it you can't hear much more than the HDD when moving data around. I'll post some pics soon.

Performance wise, it scored a 4.6 :( The worst thing apparently was the 4gb of memory (who cares, it's 4gb!). Everything else got a 5.9 except the 500gb HDD, which got a 5.7. The only thing is that it doesn't boot up quite as fast as I had expected. I'm not sure why though. But from the time I booted and told it to start installing windows, it took only 15 minutes till I was able to get online. That was mighty quick!

And the 22" wide screen... it's beautiful. The edges are all glossed to perfection, and the brightness was more than enough (I actually have it at 30% right now, because it was hurting my eyes). I benched Trackmania Nations on it, and at max settings it showed 0fps (though it was well over 100, it must have been too many to count!).

9158 in 3dmark 06
PRO BRONZE

Postby Nativedude » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:45 pm

Wow! Very Nice, sounds like an awesome machine to play around with
PRO Level 15

Return to Guides