A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Help with my IE6 is hijack and redirects to weird websites, Can some Help Me?

Help with my IE6 is hijack and redirects to weird websites, Can some Help Me?

Postby KimGregory » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:46 am

I'm having a problem with my IE 6 redirecting to a different website when I'm using google search? I know that its hijack and I need some help fixing this problem. I hope someone out there can can help me with a solution.
PRO New Member

Postby ar1stotle » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:37 am

Welcome to Pro-Networks KimGregory!

First off, what are you using in the line of Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware software? Many of us at Pro will recommend you try either NOD32 or Avast for anti-virus and Spybot: Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware to keep spyware off.

I'd recommend you download and run Ad-Aware and Spybot in safe-mode first, as that will usually clear up most of these problems. Assuming you're running Windows XP, you'll probably want to download the Winsock Fix, because some spyware ties itself into your system such that when you remove it, it disables the internet connection. In that case, you'll be glad you had the Winsock Fix already downloaded in order to remedy that problem (of course, it may not be needed).

After running the spyware scans, you may want to run a full virus scan just to be sure you've gotten all the dirt out of the system.

Hopefully that will fix your problem, but if not we're here to help you further :yesnod:
PRO BRONZE

Postby ar1stotle » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:55 am

To boot in safe mode, while the computer is booting up (before it starts showing the Loading Windows screen) just keep pressing F8 intermittently every second or so. Eventually a menu should pop up and you should be able to select to boot Windows into Safe Mode. It's basically a diagnostics mode where only necessary windows processes are loaded, which makes it easier to uninstall things like spyware and viruses which sometimes load automatically when not in safe mode.
PRO BRONZE

Postby trubbleshute » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:13 am

Just my crazy opinion here, but once a machine has been compromised like that the absolute best thing to do is to format. It's painful but backup up your drivers and using the USMT can help out a bit (also an external hard drive is brilliant for backing up important files).
When all the knives seem to lacerate your brain
I've had my share, so I'll help you with the pain.
PRO Level 2

Return to Security & Virus